Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horns and Fencing Issues  (Read 7673 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Horns and Fencing Issues
« on: August 30, 2012, 08:23:48 pm »
I have had 3 Boer and 1 Anglo Nubian kids for 2 weeks now.  They have all at least once caught their head in the stock fencing.  2 however are repeated offenders and my 'trying to help' neighbour decided to cut them free instead of phoning me today. They are not animal people and couldn't grasp how to turn the heads to free them.

Anyway, does everyone have this problem?  I have now taped some pipe across those 2 although worried about it causing pressure on back of head.  But will this make them realise they shouldn't do it? I am hoping to get some more females and am dreading the thought of constantly worrying about trapped goats.

Any longterm suggestions before they all end up in a stew?!

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Horns and Fencing Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:26:41 pm »
How long is your fencing? Could you attach plastic sheeting / perspex type thing to fencing?

Goats are a blimin nightmare for keeping themselves in place! We had to release ours from picket fencing by taking the fence to pieces with a crow bar  :rant:
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:34:03 pm »
Oh no, don't say that! I have two strips approx 50m long.  I could understand them wanting to get through to my neighbour's side as long bits of grass not cut when hay making but the other bit is just between my paddocks and the stupid things can get through the gate if they walked down the fence a bit!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:44:30 pm »
This is the very reason we changed to post and rail fencing, they are a nightmare always sticking heads where they shouldnt and tearing their tags out  :o
Graham

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:56:47 pm »
My goat kids seem to do it for a week each, the weeks not coinciding! A piece of dowel or pipe taped across stops them doing it and then I think either the horns grow a bit more and make it more difficult or the fascination for sticking your head through stock fencing wears off. Either way, they grow out of it.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 09:39:26 pm »
I hope so.  I coverd a gap in the gate with chicken wire and they broke through it so now I have a piece of pipe tied across it.  The gap is now far too small but still Cloud tries to squeeze through the gap every time I go out.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 11:50:42 am »

Whatever you do don't use red tape or people will forever be ringing to say your goat has cut its head! ;D

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 10:11:17 am »
That is a really cute little goat. How did you manage to get that stick stuck on so neatly. Ours was a bit like something off generation game!  One still hanging on but other got rubbed off.  Anyway so far no more problems.

Only a matter of time though! The AN has sussed how to turn her head and free herself.  Luckily her small horns go straighter.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 11:57:20 am »
Its not my goat its a photo someone posted on goatwisdom but its the method I use occasionally

Goat-Lady

• Joined May 2012
  • Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 12:53:42 pm »
I have used electric fencing for year, the mains type as I was constantly forget to charge the battery type.
All I used for my Toggs is 1 strand of electric wire anchored on each post, this also stops them from standing on the stock fence.
Earlier this year when we were not able to finish fencing a section of field, all there was in place was the posts with 3 strands of wire, this was enough to stop them getting through.
I hate to say this because it is tempting fate, but I don't have any escapees or stuck heads
Hope this helps :fc:

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 02:14:18 pm »
Goatwisdom jinglejoys!! now that sounds like some sort of wizardry.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 02:55:30 pm »
http://goatwisdom.proboards.com/index.cgi?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/goatwisdom/
Useful site
I usually keep the goats away from the fence with electric fencing but the kids can drop lower and if I lower it for the kids it gets shorted easier so its easier just to crossstick the occassional awkward little sod for a few months till the horns grow too wide or it gives up

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 08:28:45 pm »
We have stock proof/sheep fencing on post and rail and then 2 levels of electric strips. One above and one along about shoulder height on our 5 month old kid.
While we've been away the little sod darling has disconnected the red bulldog clip bit with his mouth and got into the habit of sucking (!) the electric fence. I am a wicked person, today I reconnected it and waited.... :innocent:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 08:56:53 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

By the way I found this from another group(probably GW)  http://www.luresext.edu/goats/library/field/hart01.html

goatlover

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 09:11:31 pm »
Our kids were poking their heads through the stock fencing to get to some of the lush grass on the other side, so we sprayed off the grass around the pen and now they have no reason to poke their heads through!, and fingers crossed we haven't had any more stuck heads...seems simple but it worked for us

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS