Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A little lump.  (Read 4237 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
A little lump.
« on: May 27, 2011, 05:40:12 pm »
Yesterday, when we were giving Toby a cuddle, we noticed that he had a little lump on his back. Its under the skin, about half way down his back, around 4 inches from his backbone. I felt it again this afternoon, it seems to be quite mobile, and too hard. Could it just be a fatty lump or do you think its a cyst. If the latter, will it have to be removed? After Toby's problem with knock out drops when he was castrated, Im a bit wary about him having further surgery.
The boys are due back at the vets in 2 weeks for their second round of shots. Do you think it can wait till then to see the vet?
All advice gratefully received.

Mary.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:24:56 pm by NormandyMary »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: A little lump.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:22:40 pm »
It could be just where the injection was done for his first lot of shots. These quite often come up as bumps and can be there for quite a while. However see if it is still there when you bring him to the vets, and he will check it out.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 06:13:52 pm »
If its hard its unlikely to be a cyst. I think an injection reaction is most likely. I would keep an eye on it and if it doesn't get bigger or bother the goat then just get it checked next time you're at the vets.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: A little lump. Second one has appeared.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 08:10:22 pm »
Hi everyone. Re the first lump, when I took Toby to the vet, she said she thought it was just the injection site, and although it is still there, it does appear to be getting smaller.

HOWEVER...This evening, I noticed that Tobes has another lump just on the right side of his jaw below the lower lip. I managed to get hold of him to feel it and it was quite hard. I only noticed it today, I havent a clue what it could be, unless its an insect bite. He is very well in all other areas, so I think its only a topical complaint. Any ideas folks?

Many thanks as always.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 09:54:28 pm »
Insect bite - possible

cut/scratch that got a bit infected - possible (it is on the outside of his mouth?)

Orf - possible - looks a bit like a cold sore in humans, can be transmitted to humans and apparently very painful (to humans), so better wear some disposable gloves when you touch it. for sheep/lambs vets often give a long acting antoibiotic to ward off any secondary infections, orf itself is caused by a virus.  for treatment of sore itself just some sudocream or nappy rash cream will help it heal, it will take a few days. Could spread to other boy too.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:12:58 am »
This might be a silly question given your username- but where are you located again?

Beth

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 09:25:00 am »
not a splinter or something that swelled up?

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:48:24 am »
This might be a silly question given your username- but where are you located again?

Beth

We are on the border of Orne (Normandie) and Mayenne which is the Pays de la Loire. We are actually on the Mayenne side, so really should have called myself "Mayenne Mary".

Re the lump..

I cant see that its anything that has got infected,its just a hard lump under the skin. His coat is intact by the surrounding area is in perfect condition. Ill try to take a photo this afternoon and post it as it may help diagnosis.

Thanks again for your responses.

Mary.

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 11:58:55 am »
do goats ever get sarcoids like ponies?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS