Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone grow winter oats?  (Read 3178 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Anyone grow winter oats?
« on: September 26, 2022, 05:48:18 pm »
Does anyone grow winter oats and knows where/how to buy small quantities?  We want to do a small experiment, just need about 1kg, can't seem to buy less than half a tonne! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Anyone grow winter oats?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 10:50:25 pm »
[member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member] you must surely know one or two local farmers who will allow you to take just a scoop of grain !?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 09:44:49 pm »
I have posted on the local smallholder groups, but it's not crop-growing country hereabouts. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 02:56:57 pm »
If you google "buying whole grains for bread making uk", this website comes up.

Wholegrains | Healthy Supplies

I am sure there are others if you only want 1kg or so.

Charles Dowding has just put out a video on his youtube channel, where he hsows the whole thing of growing the grain until baking the bread. He mentiones where he buys his grains from (but is rye rather than oats) near the start of the video.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 07:26:56 pm »
Thank you Anke!  Knew you guys would know something useful  :-*

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 10:15:04 pm »
Oh and Charles Dowding sowed his grains into plug trays, a few per plug and then planted out as wee clumps. Depending on the size you want to do, that may work out better as you won't have to deal with mice etc eating the grains before they sprout.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 05:33:47 pm »
Are most oats grown not Spring oats?  If so that's probably what you will get if you buy unnamed seed.  I don't know if it matters and I guess planting 1kg would be a way to find out.

What do you plan to do with the oats SallyintNorth?  I just ask as processing (particularly dehulling) oats is much much more difficult than wheat or rye, to the point that modern small-scale processing is nearly impossible.

I grew some spring oats this year and, when I get time this winter, am going to try and get them into an edible state.............

Forestlens

• Joined Jul 2020
  • North Devon
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 09:59:02 pm »
There are naked oat varieties which would make your life a lot easier!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 05:47:31 am »
There are naked oat varieties which would make your life a lot easier!

Good point, and that would be the sensible option!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS