Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog to vets or look after it yourself  (Read 11040 times)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Dog to vets or look after it yourself
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 11:19:03 pm »
Following on from a thread where the RSPCA have been mentioned, it isn't unusual for them to take action where an animal (in their opinion!) hasn't received what they deem to be 'appropriate' treatment.

Just a wee story . . . . a friends dog was recently seized by the RSPCA, as they accused him of using it for foxing. Now it was a pregnant bitch. . . . and three days later it was pronounced dead after being ripped apart by other dogs whilst in RSPCA care.

In another case the RSPCA seized a Golden Eagle from falconer Roy Lupton, who was in the process of nursing it back to health, and almost ready for release. Despite receiving a licence from defra to have the wild eagle in captivity until healed and released, his house was raided by the police and RSPCA and the eagle taken into RSPCA custody.

The eagle was dead within the month, from a combination or neglect and poisoning.

Appropriate treatment . . . . don't make me laugh. They are idiots.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 11:22:50 pm »
Glad Fish is going to be ok.
Treatment would have been my personal option too, without any thought   :cat:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 09:54:22 am »
Glad Fish is going to be ok.
Treatment would have been my personal option too, without any thought   :cat:

ditto and ditto
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 12:36:13 am »
Either treat it if you can or give it a swift death. Anything else is cruel.

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 07:13:19 am »
Glad to hear Fish is ok, well worth the money.

I treat all my dogs myself, but worked in a vets for many years and have had a lot of experience, btw don't shoot my cattle with broken legs unless its in a place where it can't be repaired, stuckie on all the way. I will go to the vets when it is something I can't handle, and I will pay, last week my NI went to the vets with a twisted gut, had rung the vets and told them what it was and they prepped for surgery immediately, had a phone call to say operation would be £800-£1000 would I like her put to sleep, my answer was no continue, she is now home with me and healing gradually. I can understand the mentality of some people not wanting to pay that sort of money to keep an animal alive however its a personal choice and also depends on how you look at the animals in your life. I know a lot of farmers that would put the dog/cat to sleep without a second thought, then others that would spend a fortune.

I wouldn't use cattle or sheep medicine on my dogs, although there are some that are the same as would be used to treat them,  but would ring the vets and get what I need for them, they will give me what I ask for unless it is a medicine that needs to be administered by a vet like Mycotel for cattle, due to farmers injecting themselves and having heart attacks!

It's all about how confident you are in treating you animals yourself and recognising the signs of what is wrong. If ever in doubt go to the vets that's what they trained all those years for.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS