Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: oven  (Read 5559 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
oven
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:56:08 am »
Has anyone got a good way of cleaning an oven that does not include any nasty stuff, I am at my wits end with ours. Husband loves to cook but cleaning cooker not his job.

DavidnChris

Re: oven
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:20:04 am »
Dependant on the type of cooker you have this can cost between £150 and £3000 ...............
Scrap it and buy a new one.
Sorry this is the best advice I can offer. AGA and Rayburn ones will wire brush out but the tops get manky.
If you have an AGA or Rayburn to get the burnt grease off the top use a very sharp razor blade and slice off the worst, then clean with Astonish or similar to get the last little bit off. Trust me this works a treat.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 10:56:41 am »
First rule of the day "Keep man out of kitchen"
Mine also likes to cook, the meals are great, but the mess left behind, well, what can I say other than
the meal cooked, is just not worth the hassle.

I'd sooner cook my own "treat" as let mine into the kitchen.
Pigtails

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 11:20:11 am »
i've not tried this myself, but i know several people have used the ash from your fire to help remove the worst of it.

ach, i'm not sure of the details, but i bet someone on here knows what i'm getting at.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:44:33 am »
A bowl of water with orange oil and sugar soap crystals added.Place in oven on 100*C or just over and leave for an hour or so.The steam will cut through the grease and you can clean off whilst still hot,repeat as necessary........Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 12:18:54 pm »
have heard that if you uses a penguin steam cleaner (the ons that look like apenguin) they do the job very good with no chemicals

Linz

these things
http://www.thereallyusefulstore.co.uk/P~130518~Home-Tek+Penguin+Steam+Cleaner

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 01:12:19 pm »
I once optimistically cleaned out my microwave oven using a steam cleaner.  I made a hole in the oven.  I dont know how.  But I did get a new combi microwave out of the deal so not all bad.

My M-i-L used to make a paste with bicarb which she smeared over the oven, warmed it up (dont let it get too hot it cooks on) and then washed it off.  It worked for her...  not for me, perhaps I get it too warm.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 05:23:51 pm »
A rough sponge, marygolds and some soda crystals do the job for me. Just wash it out well with clean water after. Don't do it without the rubber gloves. :&>

sandy

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 06:11:19 pm »
Theres the old trick of putting bits of the oven out onto the grass during the night, the morning dew suppose to break down the great, either that or the wildlife have a party on all that grease, it used to work well on Bar B Que stuff, otherwise, just Soda Crystals and washing powder + strong arms and a scourer...Soda is horrid stuff on  your hands so rubber gloves...must clean my oven, my man cleans up well after cooking but doesn't cook very often!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 06:26:02 pm »
Trouble with soda crystals is that they are as nasty as the shop bought oven cleaners.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 06:30:43 pm »
You can try baking soda, it's milder but not quite so abrasive. :&>

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 08:07:05 pm »
Have given the baking soda a try and it has removed quite a bit, next time I will leave it for a while. Thanks for all your tips though :)

sandy

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 09:26:03 am »
My daughter had hers steam cleaned, forgot how much it cost but it was like new. When I had an Aga in my old life, it never needed cleaning, you just put it on very hot and that was that!!!!! anyway, the dirt added flavour :o

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 09:37:36 am »
A wee trick that I have (cos I'm lazy & hate cleaning !  :P) is to line the bottom of your oven with a piece of non stick oven liner, (it's like serious heavy duty greaseproof paper) that way all the drips and spills catch there and you can just lift it out and shake it off outside or stick it in the sink if it's really bad. You still have to clean the sides but the job takes less than half the time  ;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 10:27:44 am »
A flat tray with in foil does the same when it sits under your cookng food  and can also help speed up cooking times a little

(no good for Microwaves though)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS