Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Young foal wanted, as companion for other  (Read 5107 times)

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
Young foal wanted, as companion for other
« on: July 13, 2013, 01:25:15 pm »
Unfortunately I have to wean off filly foal, from my tb mare, very early (mother is nasty). As my other two mared didnt foal down yet, Im loking for an inexpensive (ie: cheap!) good behaved pony foal, doesnt matter filly or colt, preferably native bred like new forest or welsh (or cross)  - as young as possible, under 1 year of age! Cambridgeshire. Thank you  :horse:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Young foal wanted, as companion for other
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 01:42:10 pm »
Have you thought of getting one from one of the rescue charities eg world horse welfare

Hall farm in Norfolk are your nearest world horse welfare place http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/rehoming/browse-horses.php?location=Hall+Farm

Or redwingshttp://www.redwings.org.uk/perfect_partner_match.php

If it really has to be buying, then Gumtree often have young littluns for sale, or there's the dreaded Dragon driving, which has some horrendous ads but also a lot of nice ponies and driving types.

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 02:15:58 pm »
Thank you, but going thru welfare org takes a lot of time...and I really must find a foal next week... Nothing on gumtree or preloved (too young, still not weaned off yet,  or too old!) And on dragon driving is nothing cheap now. I had new forest cross filly last february, 8 months old and paid £80... as companion also, found on facebook on local horsey group but everyone seems to squeeze to the last penny now!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 03:39:24 pm »
Maybe a local stud could have the foal to run out with theirs?

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 07:29:37 pm »
Shame your not in the north of England, A friend of mine has just taken on an 8 month old hairy cob from a rescue in Co Durham  and she said they had several
Graham

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 08:15:19 pm »
Have you tried the Dartmoor hill pony rescues?- Some are cob crosses and a bit bigger. They usually have just weaned ones for about £60! Some are in foster. I know they like a vet and farrier reference but they usually want to get them homes ASAP. They can help with transporting all across the country.

H.O.P.E usually have some in foster needing homes or foster homes.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:18:45 pm by funkyfish »
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »
On Facebook there is a page- horses free or under £200, there are some foals free on there.

How awful poor beasts!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 08:54:33 pm »
lachlanandmarcus -  the problem is, foal have to be fed with milk and special pellets several times a day  :(

sokel - everything up the north seems so much easier if it comes to animals!

funkyfish - not yet, thank you for the tip, I'll try them!  :fc: Foals on fb for free but mostly unfortunately north or west  :(

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 09:20:18 pm »
Try the welsh pony rehoming project ,https://www.facebook.com/WprpPoniesAvailable
I got a yearling in march, if its gelded you pay £60  and you have to arrange your own transport and provide references from your vet and farrier. Was very quick and they are getting a big batch in this week.
 I live St Ives and have an old pony mare that has be been used as a weaning nanny, she is firm but will not kill them give me a ring if you stuck. I weaned one at 3months, by 6 months they can in with other youngstock and you could 'borrow' the hill pony yearling if you want.

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 09:39:16 pm »
Thank you, I'll try them as well but that would be a bit problematic, as altrough I use best vets as I can (Rossdales from Newmarket) I don't have a farrier as I do all my horses' feet myself...  :-\

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 12:24:11 am »
How about Newmarket foster foals, they are usually weaned early. you are welcome to try the yearling but he still a bit wary as he was chased. He was one of a group impounded by the police and signed over to the WPRP as they were on the roads.

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 06:43:43 am »
I need quiet and friendly foal as little girl is a bit shy and timid, comes when mother is fed but very suspicious, I even had to put a headcollar on early.

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 08:28:58 pm »
Thank you all for help, we found a little colt today!  :excited:

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:42:41 pm »
Yay!!!! :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 04:13:05 pm »
Great news  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS