Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: And it goes on and on and on  (Read 5812 times)

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
And it goes on and on and on
« on: August 25, 2012, 01:01:25 pm »

Heavy Showers Today, Drier Sunday, Rain Returns Monday - Saturday 10:06 
Heavy and thundery showers for many areas today. Drier and sunnier on Sunday. Wind and rain arriving on Monday.

... visit netweather to read the story in full.

Will this rain never end, I was hoping for an indian summer, some hope. Every morning I wake up and it is raining or it seems that way.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 01:11:27 pm »
Tell me about it !
I am so sick of the rain words fail me .
I am turning into man from Atlantis , have now got webbed toes and am starting to grow gills !
The main drawback with becoming man from Atlantis is , i can't swim doh ! Glug glug glug !

deepinthewoods

Re: And it goes on and on and on
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 01:20:33 pm »
its still lashing it down here in kernow too.
it better stop tomorrow, we're off camping. better water proof the tent again i think.

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 01:48:22 pm »
And you know the bugbear, there is buggar all we can do about it.  >:( :(
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 01:53:46 pm »
Will this rain never end, I was hoping for an indian summer, some hope.

be careful what you wish for  -  summer is when the monsoon hits india   ;D ;D

Looking forward to tomorrow - I just wonder if believing the forecast is setting us up for disappointment...  ::)

marcus

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 02:19:23 pm »
 ;D

I have been looking at Forecast.co.uk I think it is, and that gives you hour by hour if you press the detailed buttong. Yesterday according to it, we would have rain in the morning and sun in the afternoon, guess what, we had sun in the morning and rain in the afternoon, so I think now, just look out the window and don't plan anything that requires sun.

www.porkyquines.co.uk

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 02:30:57 pm »
Of course I didn't check the weather forecast BEFORE I took one of the chicken sheds to pieces to blast the redmite  >:(   I've been soaked out there trying to put the thing back together
Just a couple of dry days would be nice - pleeeeeease
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 02:58:29 pm »
Well me, OH and kids were all at the Westruther Sheep Show this morning (which is about a small a show as you can get), tripple salco-ed around in the mud for an hour looking at sheep, ate a cheeseburger in the rain and came home.  Still nice though!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 03:05:07 pm »
It's just been a completely miserable summer. Poor sheep have really suffered with their feet and we still have a field of grass standing - think we can write the hay off - first year in the 16yrs I've known this place *sigh*

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 03:12:36 pm »
Us too. Got 40 small bales off, baler broke, got neighbour in and another 12 round bales (6 of which we cant get in the barn as the arch is too low to stack them) and the rest is just sitting there on the stalk....:-(((

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 03:19:18 pm »
It's just been a completely miserable summer.

It has hasn't it and I don't know about others but I am heading into the winter just feeling so desparate to have a few days of sun where I can relax and go about outside work without taking a hour to dress up in waterproofs

www.porkyquines.co.uk

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 03:45:28 pm »
Yep , sick of getting soaked everyday . I don't wear waterproofs , can't afford them for one thing , plus walking 6 miles quite fast i get too hot all wrapped up . So just an old wax cotton coat or the summer weight cammo jacket .
I look like a boiling kettle when i stop walking , steam everywhere !
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 03:47:53 pm by RUSTYME »

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 04:56:55 pm »
I'm starting to get so fed up of people complaining about the weather (wait ;) ) that dont have livestock or crops out in it. All they have to do is put a jacket on or be inside. Our livelyhood depends on it. A couple of weeks of settled weather.....it would be enough :-\

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 05:38:39 pm »
I am heading into the winter just feeling so desparate to have a few days of sun where I can relax and go about outside work

I definitely feel like that  :-\ The goat byre has flooded again today and is totally disgusting in there again - I am ashamed. I still haven't cut my fields (topper in for repairs, but doesn't look like I'm going to use next week)  :gloomy:  :gloomy:  :gloomy:

the great composto

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 05:43:14 pm »
on the positive side tho'  i have saved hours of time normally spent watering the allotment :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS