Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The great thing about living in a caravan is........  (Read 8322 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
The great thing about living in a caravan is........
« on: June 17, 2012, 09:13:19 am »
You can shoot squizzers from bed!!

Got a great shot of OH lying in bed and aiming air rifle out the caravan window at persistent offender in chicken run.

Sadly - can't post it up here as he is in his bed attire (e.g. nothing!)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: The great thing about living in a caravan is........
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:19:36 am »
Squizzers?

The ex used to shoot jackdaws and rats from the bedroom window, so the air rifle was always propped in the bedroom. When I mentioned this to mum once, round at theirs, she beckoned me upstairs. Sure enough, dad's air rifle was propped in an identical position in their bedroom  :D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:43:20 am »
My daughter shouted me the other day "muuum look at that giant squirrel!!"......."Er Milli, that's a fox" It was some distance away I have to admit but..... ::)
My husband has his air rifle ready and primed on the chicken run for magpies...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 11:26:10 am »
"squizzers?"

Squirrels Jaykay

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 11:30:47 am »
Ah! Wasn't thinking of shooting squirrels, we have red ones here so we like them  :)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 11:33:24 am »
We only have grey ones here and they are cocky little buggers. Not for long tho!!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 11:42:51 am »
I even like those, but I can only really enjoy them where there are no reds for them to drive out, and I certainly can't admit to liking them round here  ;)

embo

• Joined May 2012
    • the meaden project
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 09:23:48 am »
I can lie in bed and look out of the living room window ;)

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 10:06:27 am »
I could not think of anything particularly good (easy to spot rats, but as yet no air rifle....when we do the pigeons are gonna get it though. Since we moved in they have multiplied like rabbits....which are a bit further away so could not get them even if we had gun).

Anyway back to good things....OH says he feels closer to the seasons. We know when dawn is as cockerel start crowing and wake us up, ( 7 feet away and no sound insulation) we know what the temperature outside is without getting out of bed.  We also know exactly what the kids are doing if they are in the van.

The list of bad things is slightly longer.....but it will make us appreciate solid walls all the more when we eventually get in the house.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 10:39:26 am »
Oh I am so with you on those things NN.

It's a real priviledge to be "on site" and watch the building go up a little more each day.

having less space means less STUFF... so feel less cluttered although still manage to accumulate a pile of gardening magazines, post, paper clips and other things that sit in the basket and gather dust.......

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 01:47:14 pm »
I started my married life in a caravan and loved it. Seemed so easy to keep tidy.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 01:53:36 pm »
I liked it until the Cairngorm autumn gales started, and then I didnt.....in the end as soon as the house floor was concreted, even tho the back door was open to the elements, on stormy nights I slept on the floor in the big dog bed in the dark and cold with the dogs, rather than stay in the caravan.
Mind you we are in a pretty exposed spot. And it wasnt helped by our Doberman gradually eating the upholstery every time he saw something exciting out of the huge windows, which was about every 8 seconds....
It was nice in the summer!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 11:31:31 am »
We moved into our kezza on our holding on a cold windy 2004 february day, the next week it snowed for the world! Ice on the insides of the toilet windows and you had to squat or else you'd freeze to the seat!
Loved it though, cleaning a doddle, very compact and less clutter, we were only in it until the November but we had a lovely early summer then it peed down all July & August but i found it lovely listening to the rain tap dancing on the roof while we were dry, warm & snug inside. Fond memories.
Mandy  :pig:

embo

• Joined May 2012
    • the meaden project
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 10:26:08 pm »
Two weeks in ours so far - the best bit is being able to hoover the whole place from one socket. I used to hate dragging the hoover round our last house. The faux electric fire keeps us nice and toasty.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 08:19:05 am »
In our new house we are going to have an integrated vacuum system so no more vacuum cleaner full stop  :D :thumbsup:

Am SOOOO looking forward to it.

I love the hearing the rain on the caravan roof but then I'm only here three nights of the week. OH HATES it!!! it really gets him down. He can't wait to move into the house but I seem to remember that in the old house he used to complain about it. I think its just one of those things about him that I am going to have to learn to love  ::) ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS