Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dogs Home Fire  (Read 5021 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dogs Home Fire
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 09:37:47 pm »
While I agree with everyone that it was appalling and how the dogs must have felt knowing that there was a fire doesn't bear thinking about, I can't help wondering if that much would have been raised if it had been, say, a care home that had burned down.
I suspect if an appeal had been launched in that case they would have raised a good amount, but a care home has legal regulations to follow, plus contingency plans with the rescue services on immediate standby when an alarm is raised. This is a bit different I think.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 09:41:44 pm »
The suffering of those poor innocent dogs is appalling. But more than 60 dogs die each day in pounds around the UK. Those dogs shouldn't have been in there if people hadn't chucked them out or handed them in! The donations have now exceded £1m.  MDH is not one of the best rescue centres and I personally am very worried where that wellmeaning money will go.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 12:49:57 am »
Its rather a depressing place I have always thought, not in a very nice area.....but there again, I suppose they take in the strays, which is something, at least they are fed and looked after.  Perhaps they could rebuilt it somewhere  else ........

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 08:16:20 am »
I'd like to have 10 minutes with the little B******.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 09:55:33 am »
Its rather a depressing place I have always thought, not in a very nice area.....but there again, I suppose they take in the strays, which is something, at least they are fed and looked after.  Perhaps they could rebuilt it somewhere  else ........
That may well be an option - the present site could be sold for housing if it is owned and there is a shortage in Manchester, and a new site bought outside the city. Could be anew beginning for them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 01:01:25 pm »
While I agree with everyone that it was appalling and how the dogs must have felt knowing that there was a fire doesn't bear thinking about, I can't help wondering if that much would have been raised if it had been, say, a care home that had burned down.

Sadly I suspect very true. I remember reading somewhere that the RSPCA receives more donations per year than all the age concern charities put together.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 08:55:31 pm »
I've fostered a dog (now in a lovely forever home) who had been in Manchester dogs home twice.  He was refused entry a third time and it was not looking good, until PPBC rescue took him in. He's a lovely boy and had they rehomed him into an appropriate home he would have been fine. I really hope this influx of cash will make them improve their game.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS