Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preserving Runner Beans  (Read 4271 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
Preserving Runner Beans
« on: May 30, 2022, 07:17:32 am »
Whether I blanch, dry, freeze, cook from frozen/defrosted or skip the blanch and go straight to freezing, runner beans here are RUBBER beans when using in winter.

A plate of runners/French straight out the garden, prepped, cooked, buttered is fab BUT we ALWAYS have a glut.

Has anyone ever dried the whole bean (green including the bean?)

No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Preserving Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 04:37:54 pm »
My mother used to salt the bean glut in Kilner jars, but quite honestly they weren't too good either.  I find French beans (not the flat ones) snapped into about 3cm lengths, freeze better than runners but definitely after a year in the freezer they are all past their best.  I freeze a lot of beans and apart from winter brassicas, leeks etc, they are our main veg in winter.
No, I've never dried green beans.  Why don't you try it?  Use them soon after they are dried just to see if it's worth doing more.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 06:54:22 pm »
We pick our French beans, blanch them on the same day and then freeze on a tray before bagging them up. They taste nearly as good as fresh. We don't grow runner beans as we have never liked them. My mother used to slice them diagonally and put them in big sweet jars with layer of salt. Then soak in water to get most of the salt out before cooking. As a child they tasted OK, but I'm sure I wouldn't like them now.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 08:59:18 pm »
I leave my runner beans to grow all summer and then take the beans out of the dried pod sometime in early October (they grow in my polytunnel). For fresh french/green/yellow beans I grow dwarf varieties.

I have stopped freezing them, as I also always found they turned rubbery - and everything else near them in the freezer tasted of beans...

I freeze peas and broad beans for winter use.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 06:52:00 am »
runner bean chutney  :thinking:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 07:10:46 pm »
Runner bean curry is our plan this year. Like everyone else frozen runners were rubbery.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS