Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck - broken leg? advice please.  (Read 6577 times)

Violetsprite

• Joined Oct 2011
Duck - broken leg? advice please.
« on: August 27, 2013, 03:54:26 pm »
I am concerned that i have a female call duck with a broken leg - she has a swelling around the lowest joint, no open wounds but some dried blood and possible bruising in her foot which is cold to touch  :( . She is isolated from the other ducks but i have around 15 male & female & they live in a large sloping covered pen so it is very uneven terrain and i'm worried about her prospects if the males get on her  - is this something i can fix, or may fix itself? She is dragging it around and is staying pretty much huddled in her pen at the moment. Has anyone experience of a duck with a leg injury managing on one leg if this one is permanenetly damaged?  :thinking:

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Re: Duck - broken leg? advice please.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:05:05 pm »
If it is broken it may need to be splinted to keep it stable or it will not heal properly. The duck also needs proper pain relief for welfare reasons and to aid a quick recovery. I would take it to a vet ASAP.

If the fracture is stable it may do well on cage rest in a small area. I had a chicken with a nasty fracture who did well on rest with Metacam drops given daily straight in her beak.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 04:05:36 pm »
Forgot to say if you don't feel its worth a vets visit then cull it ASAP.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Violetsprite

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:11:07 pm »
Thanks - anyway advice on how i can figure out if it is broken before heading off to the vets tomorrow? I can't feel any obvious breaks. Also do u think a baby aspirin in water might help her tonight? i don't have any metacam to hand.
Culling will be last resort if she can't heal and would be miserable  :(

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:13:21 pm »
 :wave: we had a turkey chick break her leg when about 3 months old we splinted her ourselves as vet wanted to cull her and paid for the metacam drops for her she has healed very well just has a slight lump where break was as it was completly in half. she is now happily living with all our others with no  probs, but if an oldish bird id cull.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 04:18:46 pm »
Asprin VERY bad to give birds and no where near strong enough pain relief.

Violetsprite

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 04:23:20 pm »
thanks - had no idea about aspirin - would have expected it to be ok being the closest to nature i can get hands on - salicylic acid/willow etc - really surprised to hear it's bad for birds. she's about 5 years old but i still have one who is now 15 so she's pretty young in duck years  :)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 10:41:35 pm »
I had a young duck who had a leg problem a few weeks ago - very swollen, limping very badly (to the point of barely moving). I got her into the vet as soon as we noticed (husband had been in charge for a couple of days and hadn't noticed her) but even then it wasn't clear if it was broken or not. She could put some weight on it so we thought not. Vet prescribed a week of anti-inflammatories to help with the swelling and pain. I kept her isolated by day in a big dog cage with a carry case in side and she pretty much sat in that with food and water close at hand (but I'm sure she did lose some weight). Then I let her back in with the others each night - partly because I thought she was a bit exposed to foxes in her cage - even if they couldn't get to her, they'd have bee close enough to scare her - and partly because she missed them all (much shouting went on!) .That didn't seem to work so I phoned up and asked what else we could try. Vet was happy to try antibiotics in case it was a joint infection. The only problem was that his preferred antibiotic was not ideal for such a young bird (she was about 2 months at the time) but the second choice was great and within another week she was up and about again. So it clearly was an infection.

Fingers crossed yours is not a break but, yes, get her into the vet tomorrow,

H

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 10:46:26 pm »
iv only had a lamb with a broken leg and that was very obviously broken, you could feel the break and move the leg bone.
when did it happen? swelling may make it harder to feel.

Violetsprite

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 12:04:19 pm »
Oh dear - took duck to vet & young vet said not confident splinting it without being sure if broken and couldn't tell but thinks unlikely as duck not calling out when move it but def damaged  :o . Gave metacam but said if want to do more work with it suggests take to wildlife hospital!! Even had to point out to her that feet were different temperatures because she felt legs and put on notes that they were both same - bit frustrating. Anyway will give metacam next few days and see how she does - she is eating so that's something  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS