Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sending a ram off to slaughter on his own  (Read 4666 times)

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Sending a ram off to slaughter on his own
« on: May 31, 2021, 09:12:19 am »
I'm thinking of sending our 15 month old Soay ram off as he's getting a bit too feisty with me for my liking. Shame as he's gorgeous looking, did his job well and got all the ewes in lamb, and his offspring (both pure and crossed with Wiltshire Horn) are all beautiful and growing well.
The trouble is I haven't got anything else to go with him atm and I don't believe it's a good idea to send one sheep off on its own. If I wait until the bigger crossbreed lambs are ready it will be well into autumn - and his hormones will be rising then.
Is there another solution?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Sending a ram off to slaughter on his own
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 09:33:31 am »
If anything like our abattoir they go straight in pretty much so would hardly notice being on own.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 12:20:56 pm »
I would think it depends on the nature of penning in your abbattoir.  If he will be penned out of sight and sound of other sheep (as primitives are in our abbattoir) and if he will be waiting overnight or until all the commercials have gone through, then I would not take him on his own.  If though he would be penned next to other sheep while he waits, then that would be fine.

I am a bit surprised that he will be big enough at 15 months, as a Soay, to fit the machinery in an abbattoir, so check with them before you send him off. If you could keep him until August his hormones would be down still but he would have put on summer weight.  Can you keep him with others but where you don't have contact with him while you wait?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 12:24:30 pm »
I would just send him, not ideal I know. There will be other sheep in the lairage that although he won’t be penned with, he will be able to see.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 12:49:31 pm »
Thanks all. I will mull it over some more.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 04:52:57 pm »
I would ring the abattoir and see if you can take him so he goes straight into slaughter. Not because of going on his own. Hundreds, if not thousands, of tups go to markets to be sold or change hands and travel on their own just fine. But because he has horns and it maybe they wont want him penned with other sheep.

Your other options are to sell him on from you as a breeding tup or get a wether to run with him.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 09:12:00 pm »
He has 2 wethers for company who are very attached to me - might be part of the problem - he is jealous!
I would love to sell him on and give him a chance with another flock but appreciate there are plenty of Soay rams out there already ........ sigh

I am a fool for a pretty face  .... if someone came to me with the same issue with a cockerel or gander or turkey stag the answer would be to get rid, so I know in my heart of hearts what the answer is really.   :(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 09:37:04 pm »
Is he a good looking ram? True to the Soay breed standard?  If so why not contact the breed society adn see if they can rehome him?

I just feel it would be a waste if he is a good specimen
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 11:00:55 pm »
The other option nobody has mentioned is doing a home kill.

It's not for everybody, granted. But we've done that in similar circumstances, and have no regrets.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS