Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pinkeye  (Read 3497 times)

birkb

• Joined Jul 2009
pinkeye
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:27:45 pm »
I have just started treating two ewes for this condition.  When i first thought that was what it was i tried to see if there was anyone else on the forum who had come across this eye condition...there was nothing there.  I thought i would mention it to see what others had experienced...how long does it take to clear up with medication, how infectious is it (both ewes in isolation now) and any complications to watch out for ?  Thanks...

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: pinkeye
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 03:53:52 pm »
Very infectious between sheep, particularly when trough feeding etc.
Best thing to keep those isolated.
Clears up on its own in a couple of weeks.
If lots of the flock get it then just ensure that they're in a safe environment (eg, no ditches to fall in) and carry feed to any that are too blind to get to trough.
Pinkeye itself won't do any harm, but if pregnant ewes don't feed because of it then can lead to probs.

It's very common at this time of year, and at housing.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:15:19 pm »
VVS I disagree strongly that pink eye should go untreated my flock of Shetlands all the ewes and one tup about 23 animals in all have not long recovered from this affliction, One ewe in particular took a while over three weeks to show any signs of recovery and was as good as blind. Having myself had trouble with an eye not so long ago I can fully sympathies with the sheep. I personally could not stand buy and watch my sheep go blind and do nothing about it, I would consider that very bad animal husbandry. I know of a case of pink eye that drove the sheep to rubbing her eyes so badly that she rubbed the eye lids completely away.  I think that will give you an idea of the foolishness of not treating pink eye. On a brighter note all ewes and the tup have fully recovered after medication most within a few days but some took a bit longer     
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 02:59:18 pm »
I am surprised that you find this a winter problem. Is it what used to be called 'New Forest Eye' when I lived over there? Is it Pinkeye or something else?

I always thought it was spread by flies in the summertime. It is particularly bad in range cattle over here, unless they are treated many lose an eye in the summer once an outbreak is established.

birkb

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 10:00:11 am »
Thank you for your responses.  I removed the two ewes and gave them the eye medication that the vet gave me...after a couple of days their eyes improved and life became clear again and they are now back with their pals!!  I have no doubt that the infection would have spread through the rest of the flock especially as i was just about to start trough feeding.  Fingers crossed that that particluar problem is dealt with.  The vet did not sepcifically say that the infection was pink eye but from my research pink eye seems to cover a problem started by a few different sources (nadis web site).  I also think that things could have been much worse.  Having said that...i had "diagnosed" the first ewe a few days before the second and before i gave them the treatment and i am sure that the first one was beginning to improve on her own.  But from this point on when this problems arises i will act straight away to try an catch it before anything worse happens.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 08:28:29 pm »
I must agree that pink eye or New Forest eye must be treated by isolation and antibiotic eye cream. Yes it is a right old business if you have a lot of sheep with it and yes it can occur in the summer frm flies, seeds etc and in winter often from getting hay seeds in the eye etc but if left untreated it can lead to ulceration of the eye and permenant damage and having had an eye infection myself I know how unpleasant it is, I would not leave animals untreated!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS