Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making hens broody  (Read 3429 times)

valantinas

• Joined Sep 2009
Making hens broody
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:33:42 pm »
Hi
Does anyone know if there is a way to make a hen feel broody?  I want at least 1 to become broody so can try getting some chicks.  I have 8 and none were broody last year either.
 ::)
Thanks.

Pete

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Re: Making hens broody
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:43:53 pm »
Get a breed known for their broodiness.
The only way I have heard to encourage it is to leave their eggs to become a clutch, so don't collect them as soon as they are laid. ALternatively set up a nice cosy private box with fake eggs in and see if any take to that.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:45:12 pm »
I've had many breeds of chicken and I've never managed to 'encourage' any of them to become broody. With many breeds of bird it has just been bred out of them (broody birds go off lay, and in these commercial times they are either wanted for meat or eggs).

If you want a broody type hen, the best choice is to find yourself a Silkie hen. Renowned for wanting to be mama's, and they make good mums too.

If you want to try to encourage the hens you have, you can buy porcelain eggs which you leave in their nest. The idea is they see the eggs in there all the time and instinct takes over - but like I say, they have never worked with any of my girls. Ever.

Good luck.
 :chook: ;)

PS: Forgot to say, if you tell us what breed you have, we will be able to chuck our two'penneth in as to how likely we think they are to become broody.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:50:17 pm by OhLaLa »

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:50:22 pm »
Broodiness is inherent, so you may have birds that would not naturally brood.  Many of the hybrid birds are bred not to be broody, which does not mean they will not go broody, just that it is less likely

Most birds are more inclined to feel broody when they are warm and dry, and when they feel there are sufficient eggs in their nest to make it worth while, so buy some false eggs and put 4 or 6 in the nest so whenever a bird goes to lay she feels there are plenty of eggs there.

They also prefer to sit where it is dark and they can feel protected and undisturbed, so don't keep interferring with them whilst they are on the nest.

For more about broodies check out  Hatching with a Broody

all the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

valantinas

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 02:52:45 pm »
Hi Thanks for the info.  I have 4 black rocks and 4 brown point of lay ( I can never remeber the breed :$)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 04:29:13 pm »
Hi Valantinas,

I have a light sussex bantam hen who is a serial broody and excelent at the job. She was so determined to hatch as many batches of chicks as possible last year that she was still hatching chicks in November and brooding them through all that horrible Snow.

She is itching to get started with this years chicks and makes sure that my cockerel treads her as soon as she has laid her egg of the day. She wanders around every morning just before she lays, muttering to herself and investigating the best place to hatch her chicks but she hasnt gone broody yet and I do leave fake eggs in the box that she uses to replace the ones I take away. My suggestion is that even if you have a broody bird amongst your gang, its probably still a bit two early. Even determined little birds like mine know that the worst weather of the year usually comes between Jan and March and food and warmth is in short supply. The longer days should help to spur them on and the warm May weather will certainly sort the broodies from the layers.

But if you find they are not the maternal type and you do decide to buy a broody a sussex cross silkie is a good choice.

If you dont want to buy a broody you could always try hatching your own with an incubator...

Buffy

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:33:02 pm »
I had 2 out of 3 at different time of the year. you can try a fake egg in the nesting box but I feel that they get broody when they are ready... :chook:

Jonny

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 09:32:54 pm »
I know this method can sometimes be unpractical but putting the hen within the sound of chicks can encourage it to become broody.  :)

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 11:42:44 pm »
Thought I'd give you a laugh...

Here is the latest 'nest' of my serial broody (a silkie/araucana coss I think - daft headgear, black skin, blue eggs). I found it in mid January.  It is in the outdoor kennel my husband lovingly made for our lab (who hated it) which has been home to our two outdoor cats for several years.  I lifted all eggs away bar one and am still getting a new egg every second day.  It's way too early up here in Aberdeenshire to be thinking about chicks but that doesn't stop her!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS