Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strict laws with feeding pigs  (Read 8925 times)

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Strict laws with feeding pigs
« on: October 05, 2010, 08:48:05 pm »
Hi all,

I know there are very strict laws in place when it comes to what we can and can't feed our pigs, my question is can I feed them fruit and veg from my local veg shop? It's all the things that won't sell, and have only been in a veg shop.

Tia

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Strict laws with feeding pigs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:07:00 pm »
yes you can. don't tae it into the kitchen thou.

pigs n chickens

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:10:58 pm »
Hi Tia,
As far as I know that would be fine. As long as the fruit and veg has not been in a kitchen nor in contact with any meat products you should be fine. I've done the same with a local supermarket in the past and the pigs certainly loved their friday treat - they had a more varied diet than I did!
If you have any concerns check out the defra website but I think you'll be fine as long as you keep the fruit and veg out of your kitchen.
Helen  :pig:  :chook:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:21:11 pm »
hi
fruit and veg shops are fine as long as they do not sell any meat products.
and as helen said it mustn't be in the kitchen.
potatoes need to be cooked, and our pigs like most veg cooked (we do it on a gas ring in our garage

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 10:27:00 pm »
Ours gobble everything up raw as it's mostly fruit and cucumbers from wholesalers (though they don't mind cooked stuff). Bakery leftovers are a big hit, I walked into the pen once with a bag of doughnuts and it took them about a nanosecond to eat the lot!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 09:38:13 am »
potatoes need to be cooked,

Yes don't feed any green ones, they are poisenous.  However normal potatoes can be fed raw, but pigs find the startch hard to convert to sugars, so have little nutritional value.  Cooking (as Manian says outside ) turns the starch into sugars, so provides much more value, but is not wiorth it (your call of course) for a few potatoes, so as long as this is not the only veg they are getting, you can feed raw ones quite happily.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 08:32:09 pm »
Thanks everyone for all your replys.

One more question on food for the pigs....

Can they eat chestnuts? These are the ones you eat at Xmas not grown in the uk they are chinese, Just a few left over from the production of chestnut purée!! Yuk!!

Thanks once again

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 09:01:18 pm »
Chestnuts would be fine for them.
BUT if you've had them in your kitchen (whilst making chestnut puree) then it's a no I'm afraid  :-\
You can't give anything which has been in a domestic or commercial kitchen full stop. (I know it sounds a bit over the top, but that's the rules  ::))

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 09:48:11 pm »
Many thanks Happyhippy  ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 09:38:56 am »
But if you can collect them from the woods or anywhere else outdoors the pigs will LOVE them.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 04:21:37 pm »
i don't keep pigs but would love to why the rule about no food from a kitchen?

is there a good reason or just interfering beaurocracy?

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 07:31:48 pm »
i think its to do with potential contamination with meat.

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 09:51:07 pm »
Yup, got it in one !
There's a risk of contaminated meat entering the food chain (think BSE, ok I know that's cows - but same principle) and I believe there can be a risk of your pigs contracting swine fever and other diseases - but without double checking my book I'm not 100% on that.
I think it was probably way too much of a nightmare to try and make seperate rulings so it's a blanket ban. Although I've heard rumblings that 'pet' pig keepers are exempt from the ban (I don't know if it's true or not) but personally I wouldn't risk it. So many of these pet 'micro' pigs are getting rehomed because they get too big - how long before some are sausaged and we have food chain problems from that ?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 11:21:33 pm »
Think Foot and Mouth and well. The 2001 outbreak started, I believe from pigs in the Newcastle area being fed on contaminated meat.

From Wikipedia-

"The first case of the disease to be detected was at Cheale Meats abattoir in Little Warley, Essex on 19 February 2001 on pigs from Buckinghamshire and the Isle of Wight. Over the next four days, several more cases were announced in Essex. On 23 February a case was confirmed in Heddon-on-the-Wall, Northumberland, from where the pig in the first case had come; this farm was later confirmed as the source of the outbreak and the owner, Bobby Waugh of Pallion, was convicted of failing to inform the authorities of a notifiable disease, and later of feeding his pigs "untreated waste".[2]

The consensus today is that the FMD virus came from infected or contaminated meat that was part of the garbage being fed to pigs at Burnside Farm in Heddon-on-the-wall.[8] The garbage had not been properly heat-sterilized and the virus had thus been allowed to infect the pigs. Seeing as FMD virus was apparently not present in the UK beforehand and given the import restrictions for meat from countries known to harbour FMD, it is likely that the infected meat had been illegally imported to the UK. Such imports are likely to be for the catering industry and a total ban on feeding of catering waste containing meat or meat products was introduced early in the epidemic.[8]"

Beth
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:27:36 pm by ballingall »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 09:25:19 am »
... yet in my pig producers on line magazine and in my French pig producer mag. it is stated that the EU are considering allowing meat protein to be used in animal feed production. 

Sometimes I dont know if I am on my head or my heels with the rules ...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS