Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Haters?  (Read 4148 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Haters?
« on: July 30, 2015, 06:11:38 pm »
Where do you guys get your halters I am looking for some halters for my Hebridean's as I might be putting them into a sale and showing them next year. And also I am looking for a new breed of sheep so if you guys could give me a list of pros and cons of your breeds it would be greatly apreciated as I am having to give my Zwartbles up.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Haters?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 06:17:00 pm »
I found a rope halter in our local agricultural store, but I notice that at the shows, many Hebridean breeders use leather ones.

I'm intrigued though - what's up with the Zwartbles that makes you want to change? (i.e. what do you think their pros and cons are?)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 06:47:47 pm »
I too got my halters in the local agri store. They were under calf halters.
With regards to changing sheep, Womble has asked a good question. If we know why Zwartbles aren't for you we might be able to suggest something more suitable.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:00:18 pm »
Ok. I have had problems and problems with my Zwartbles with foot problems I mean it gets to a point where you are buying a few cans of cyclo a month when you relise it's a bit exseive. I have reduced my number of Zwartbles and just today I have had the most hart breaking experience where I had to make the decision to put my best ewe and my most friendly lamb down due to CLA (chronic long abcess). This leaves me with one ewe and her two lambs. The Zwartble showing circle is to large and vast for. E to stand a chance in so have decided not to rebuild my flock. On the other hand my Hebridean's are going fantastically with some real crackers in this years lambs and they very occasionally need medical assistance. So is that enough info for you. I love my Zwartbles they are so friendly but I have decided they are just not for me.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:03:00 pm »
I hate the rope halters - they dig in, squash the sheep's eye, especially on small sheep, get twisted up and get filthy - then if you wash them they are useless afterwards.

Hebs look lovely in red webbing halters, or black leather ones.  Both kinds are made up to order by someone on the Internet.  If I'm feeling nice I'll go and find the URL for the ones I used  ;D

Hebs really shouldn't be shown on halters, at least in Scotland.  They're supposed to be shown straight off the hill and controlled by good handling.  They should also be let run free so the judge can see how they move.  However, when everyone else has theirs haltered, you are at a disadvantage not to halter train them.  Catch 22.  No wonder the commercial boys laugh up their sleeves at the little doggie sheep  :(

As for what breed to replace your Zwartbles with, well, Hebs of course  :yippee:

OK here's the webbing one: http://www.llugwy-farm.co.uk/tackroom/halters_sheep.asp

Sorry I can't find the supplier I used for the leather halters, but there are plenty advertised online.  Narrower straps look better than wide ones.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:09:05 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 07:11:10 pm »
Are you wanting to show your new breed or are you wanting meat / fleece? I have a flock of Gotland x Shetland which have never had any foot problems ( in 6 years), lamb easily, give a nice carcass and the fleeces are to die for. I have some ewe lambs and a couple of shearling ewes available if you are interested.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 07:16:47 pm »
As for what breed to replace your Zwartbles with, well, Hebs of course  :yippee:

That's what I was thinking!

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the Zwartbles though (there but for the grace of God.....).  You're going to have to change your username too!!

As far as another breed goes, if you want to show them, your best chance of a winner comes from having plenty to pick from, so that would be a pointer towards focusing on just the Hebs (chase two rabbits, catch none).

However, if you want to have another breed around for interest, how about another primitive breed like Castlemilk Moorits or Manx Loaghtans? The reason I say that is because we currently run Manxs and Zwartbles on the same land, and do find it a challenge at times. For instance, the Zwartbles need hard feed in the winter, whilst the Manxs don't. We can handle that, but if we had our time again, we wouldn't choose that complexity. So, if you're going to have two breeds around, it would make your life easier if they have similar needs, can be easily cross-bred with each other, etc etc?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 07:40:36 pm »
Rough Fells are lovely sheep and I think would "go" well with what you have?

Hebs are lovely too but I have a soft spot for Shetlands :)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Re: Halters
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 08:07:10 pm »
Hi yes I to need to change my username. Yes I was looking to show but I was looking for something that matures a bit quicker than a heb as I would like them for meat two. Wool is not of importance to me as I can't get rid of this years fleaces. Thanks

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 08:12:40 pm »
Are you only wanting to show or sell some for breeding and some for fat?
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 08:53:57 pm »
I have reduced my number of Zwartbles and just today I have had the most hart breaking experience where I had to make the decision to put my best ewe and my most friendly lamb down due to CLA (chronic long abcess).
Do you mean a chronic lung abscess or do you mean cla? I suspect the latter if you have lost two to it as lung abscesses usually only affect one animal.
CLA is caseous lymphadenitis. It causes extensive abscesses internally and externally and is highly contagious.
if this I'd what you had, I would be seriously considering working with your vet to test and cull to get rid of this nasty disease before introducing new sheep that may well catch it easily if they have not been exposed to it before.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 08:57:03 pm »
Have you considered vaccinating with Footvax?

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 09:25:42 pm »
No I only lost one to it the other was her lamb and it was born wrong and had improved and was found sprawled out in the field but still alive I have the vet out twice in two days and he said he didn't think it was but he mentioned it to be a possibility so she has be put down. she has been separated the last few days and the rest have had no problem nor have they ever, but I will be keeping a close eye on them. I am just enquiring about sheep breeds as I will need to locate a reputable breeder.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 10:37:44 pm »
It's always nice to have a local breed, but it can also be nice to have one from another area.  Especially if it's a rare breed, needing help to establish breeding flocks outside its own geographical area.  And less competition for prizes and sales ;) - although of course they maybe wouldn't always have their own classes or sections.

To which end, the suggestion of Rough Fell might be a good one.  It's very rare even in its own area.  jaykay used to keep them and I'm pretty sure she reckoned to sell all the boys fat before winter.

Another breed that could do with some flocks outside its own area is the Exmoor Horn.  I love these sheep :).  On decent ground the lambs should fatten in one year, and like the Rough Fell they're hardy.  Oh, and they have tremendous feet ;)

However, it might be that you would find it hard to find buyers for your ewe lambs of these breeds, as they are not seen in your area.

Other breeds that are uncommon or rare but which are found in your area include the Kerry Hill and the black NC Cheviot.  mowhaugh has flocks of both of these.

I hear that there are Lleyns in your area too, and something being called a 'Highland Lleyn' - I would have thought that these would be good commercial ewes, so should sell well.  But you'd need to check that out for yourself, as I'm passing on hearsay with that one.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS