Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck problem  (Read 1622 times)

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
Duck problem
« on: September 26, 2011, 11:03:43 am »
One of my ducks (mixed race I think) has the last bit of its wing sticking out...is that called angel wing? What do you do about it?   One of the others had the lower sections on both sides sticking out a bit but that seems to have resolved itself...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Duck problem
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:14:17 am »
A youngster, still growing wing primaries? If so, yes it's likely to be angel wing.  You tape the wing up - depends on the severity. If taping the end sticking out bit to the main wing does the trick, that's fine, but if that stilk flops sometimes you have to tape the whole wing to the body. You must re-do the tape every few days to allow for growth. So the trick is finding something that's waterproof, sticky enough to last for 4 days but that you can then take off! I find the 'stick to itself' crepe bandage the best - the vets have it but so do Boots.

I had a gosling with really bad angel wings as a youngster but did the above and you'd never know now - she's handsome and flying  :)

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Duck problem
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:28:39 am »
Thanks JayKay will catch it tonight and wrapit I have a couple of rolls of "vetwrap" so will do it with that...Thanks for being so quick whilst I was still reading other posts.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS