Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any good interview tricks or advise  (Read 9626 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Re: Any good interview tricks or advise
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 11:49:45 pm »
I've been working as a freelance/consultant for years now and have to admit to really enjoying 'interviews' with prospective new clients. Partly this is because I've done an awful lot of it and so I try to view it as a (slightly more grown up version of) of a 'dressing up' game. A bit of research on the web shows you what the place is going to be like and you pretend to be that kind of person and go in to the interview thinking 'could I be this kind of person every day?'. Sometimes it involves doing something dull whilst wearing a suit and I quickly decide I couldn't! Usually in those cases they decide they don't want me either of course!
With the community farm, I now only have time for part-time gigs which makes the whole thing much harder. Having said that,  I've just found a nice new client that suits me down to the ground (two days a week, one from home) and doing exactly the kind of thing I think I'm best at so hopefully won't be doing the interview thing again for a few months.

Sandy

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 07:09:22 pm »
Well, My hubby had a brilliant interview, he said it was the best he had been too, he read up on the company and knew every thing they asked him and was comfortable etc, neither of us get nervouse around people or at interviews....well, he did not get the job, they said there was so many brilliant interviewees, thats the problem, so many people are after so few jobs, we are both devistated although we half expected it, worse still the agency post he has been covering for a few weeks is ending at the end of the week and he was only told today...so now we are both down in the dumps again....we had some money put buy for some work on the house now that will pay our huge fuel bill...we have guests in but thats not enough to cover everything so....where do we go now??? apply for £6.ph posts I suppose...I have work offered all the time but my back is very unreliable..now I am rambling, well at least we can do some house cleaning until the agency find more work!!!!!!!!!

Before I go, those who have similar issues would know, although my hubby will and has worked on building sites etc, he does not always grasp things and on a site the other men will not tollerate him not understanding, he certianly will work his socks off but not sure its the sort of job for him!!

Sharnoak

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Blampied, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 09:32:01 pm »
I can so sympathise with the whole-'we loved you, but...' answer. This is the first time I have ever been without a job for such a long time, and although a part of me loves not 'working', the bank balance doesn't! It is so frustrating when you think an interview has gone well, only to hear the fateful words above. I try to be honest in interviews, but sometimes I think that actually works against me and I would have been more successful of I had bulls^%$ed it! I also find it bizarre that they need 4 people to interview for what is basically either a customer service or data entry position-or is this just another example of too many people being overpaid for doing sweet FA?  ;D ;D

Hope Steve finds something soon-all best wishes winging their way from Oz!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 10:13:53 pm »
sorry he didn't get the job, Sandy.  Know what you mean about the money.  As soon as you get a bit of money to do a job that needs doing, something even more urgent, eg fuel bill, pops up.

Sandy

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 10:47:45 pm »
I have worked with a lot of Bull S^ters and they know what to say and have confidence, get the job but are crap at it!!!!!! we are a bit devistated as its so hard, the B&B does very well but thats just not enough to keep us going!!!! I keep seeing jobs but like a lot of people on here, my body can be crap some times and its embarrasing to not be able to get up or down when caring for people...I love working with people and put extra into any care jobs..I did put an add in for care at home work and got a reply but I changed my mind, then this week I got another enquiry!!! I do not know..may just HAVE to sell my body......... ::)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:28 pm »
So sorry to hear about Steve, Sandy.  I know how tight it is for you.  I hope some agency work comes very quickly.  It's at times like this I am so glad I have a pension as well as the Government one,  but it is so maddening that they have moved the goal posts for that too.  I wish I could do something to help.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS