Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what a result !!!!!! (hopefully)  (Read 3452 times)

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
what a result !!!!!! (hopefully)
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:39:14 am »
after spending all weekend fencing and clearing some of the rubbish that was on the land i have fenced off for the pigs i finally got them out there this morning before i went to work, when i was putting the feed down for them i noticed one of the pigs was not interested in eating as he was trying to dig out in the field so i went to see what he was digging and i saw a strap of a rucksac buried in the ground so i pulled it out and what did i find inside.................................................£1620 in old ten pound notes all neatly wrapped up in a wait for it C&A carrier bag they must have been down there a while as i am 32 now and although i can remember c&a closing which must have been 20 -25 years ago surely just to find out if the bank will change them i have spoke to the allotment people and my plot has not been used for 10-15 years and they cant even remember who had it or where the money would have come from as it could have just been buried as part of some dodgy dealings as my plot is closets to the fence so finder keepers i think off to the bank at lunchtime if they change it then i think the pigs deserve a nice treat, hopefully buy the time i get home they would have dug up another six or seven but then we can all dream

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: what a result !!!!!! (hopefully)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:42:27 am »
You'll probably find the bank won't change it and you will have to take it to the nearest Bank Of England either in London or Leeds i believe, it may also be considered treasure trove.
But oh boy that should pay for your pig keeping hobby, hope it wasn't from a bank robbery!
mandy :pig:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:19:28 am »
Oh boy,...your pigs deserve some very special treats!!!!   What a wonderful surprise!  Bet your Monday feeling is absent today :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:34:10 am »
WOW, what a way to start the week. Well done those piggies  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:42:12 am »
Wow! How exciting! I wish my pigs could dig up something like that. One of their paddocks used to have a caravan on it where a crazy old lady lived. All they have dug up is old jumpers  and rubbish. They did once dig up an out of date credit card but they totally chewed it up before I could try it in a cash machine! :innocent:

the great composto

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:43:57 am »
what a bonus!  - I would go to the police with the loot not the bank - you will be able to claim the money legitimately if no-one else claims it. 

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:08:07 am »
wow that is amazing! What good luck! I really hope you are allowed to keep it, what a bonus!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 11:10:27 am »
any bank will change them...

when we cleared my grandmas flat she had cash stashed everywhere, some of that was 2 versions of the notes previous and the local bank changed them no problems...

it does need to be a bank not an ex building society we used lloyds and they were great about it...

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:51:19 am »
 :relief: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:just been out and i called into my local bank they changed them all not a problem probably the best monday i have had for a while just have to decide if i need to tell the wife as i am sure she will find some way of getting rid of it faster than it appeared

my way of spending it:

going to italy to watch the rugby anyway so this would be good bit of extra spending money
new arc and treats for pigs (it was those who done the hard work after all)
put the rest in MY account NOT THE JOINT ONE hahaha

Her way of spending it:
shoes
handbags
handbags
shoes
shoes
shoes
shoes
shoes

maybe i should leave it a couple of days and decide then what she does not know cant hurt her can it  :thinking:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 11:55:14 am »
No no no. You must realise that us women know best!  A puchase in a really good handbag should be seen as an investment  :-J

the great composto

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 12:00:25 pm »
Ha ha buy shoes but insist on buying 2 pairs of ech one - that way the pigs can have them after the OH has worn them once ( as usual).

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 12:04:10 pm »
not when we already have over 150 bags and over 300 pairs of shoes taking up a spare bedroom in the house so i dont think we need another load as an investment haha  :thumbsup:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 12:28:08 pm »
briliant news gav, wonder why our bank was so sh**y when we asked to change some old notes ??? >:(  might see if we've still got them!
best of with the missus, how about buying her some designer wellies ;D
mandy :pig:

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 01:45:44 pm »
what a bonus!  - I would go to the police with the loot not the bank - you will be able to claim the money legitimately if no-one else claims it.

going to the police was my first thought too. iirc any buried currency found and not claimed is property of the land owner not the finder. there was some thing along those lines on our local news a few months back.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 01:52:19 pm »
Ha ha, what a brilliant story, liked that.  You do realise your local newspaper will be down photographing the plot and then a big line of 'helpers' will appear  ;D  could be very useful!!!!

Well done Piggy Banks!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS