Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best field names  (Read 7473 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Best field names
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2023, 09:11:12 pm »

The ones I'd love help with are 'Over the Road' and 'The Top Bit Over The Road', plus 'The New Tree bit Over the Road'.  We tried names like 'The New Millennium Plantation', 'Beech Walk' etc but nothing has stuck.  I think my creative juices started running dry many years ago and have now gone all together  ::)

I'm trying to find a pun or puns involving Roost...  as in why did the chicken cross the road / rooster / birds roosting in the (new) trees... [member=2128]Womble[/member] you're usually a punster...

Other things that cross roads or are over the road or similar ... X  zebra  bridge  kerb 

Any other features or uses (past or present) that could help find fun and memorable names?

Well, the tups live over there and we do sometimes call it 'The Tup Field' but that's as boring as the other names. We could call it 'Dead Deer Field', but I don't really want to be reminded of that. We could name it after the neighbour we bought it from - NO WAY!!  Or it could be 'The new Field', but we bought it over 20 years ago.  It is also our Isolation Facility on the rare occasions we need it, being completely separate from 'Over here'.
Nah, 'Over The Road' it will have to stay  :turkey:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2023, 05:03:22 pm »

Well, the tups live over there

It is also our Isolation Facility on the rare occasions we need it

Then it's Love Island, surely!   :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2023, 05:06:52 pm »
A field on a farm near me is called Maes yGwaed which translates as Field of Blood !

I wonder if it has been a poppy field?  There's a field between Hungerford and Newbury has more red poppies than I'd ever seen, and made me understand the whole thing about why we use poppies for Remembrance.  (It also has multiple pairs of boxing hares in Feb/Mar, so I used to drive that way a lot.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2023, 01:07:57 am »

Well, the tups live over there

It is also our Isolation Facility on the rare occasions we need it

Then it's Love Island, surely!   :roflanim:

Er.....they're all boys together, with one lucky wether.  For one month a year the chosen one (or two) comes to visit his ewes, then this side of the road becomes 'Rampant Sex Field'.  The other side becomes 'Oh Goodness, I hope the Minister* isn't passing Field' in the weeks leading up to November, as all the remaining boys check the wether hasn't changed sex since they last checked 5 minutes ago.
(* Minister as in Minister of the Church of Scotland and the equivalent of 'More tea Vicar?')
We get a lot of people out for a Sunday Drive along our little road especially in summer and they get a good view of our tups.  Perhaps it should be 'Country Pastimes Field'?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2023, 03:49:27 pm »
Blue Ball Field then...   :roflanim:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2023, 03:53:57 pm »
I'm just leaving this here  :innocent: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2023, 04:24:08 pm »

The Ball Games Field!  You've got there in the end Sally  8)

KirinChris

• Joined Apr 2022
  • Bishop Auckland, Durham
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2023, 07:48:46 pm »
I feel deeply unimaginative now..

Top Field
Corner Field
Beck Field
Meadow Field
Orchard

And they are all exactly what they are called.

Perhaps we should change the name of the property to Literal Farm.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2023, 08:17:28 pm »

Perhaps we should change the name of the property to Literal Farm.

:roflanim:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2023, 11:11:13 pm »

No, The Ball Park  ;D   (a Park apparently being a grazing field here in Scotland)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 11:13:25 pm by Fleecewife »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 04:48:41 pm »

No, The Ball Park  ;D   (a Park apparently being a grazing field here in Scotland)

:yippee:  Love it!   :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2023, 04:52:16 pm »
I'm envious now, i want our "lads' field" to be "The Ball Park" too!   :roflanim:  But they time share with the pigs (along with ponies actually - pigs then rest, then sheep - ponies - rest - sheep) - and the fields in question are already called Pigs' Bottom and Middle Pig.  Perhaps we could rename the Bull Field, as we haven't had a bull on site since 2017, and we nearly always tup in that field...  :thinking:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2023, 08:56:32 am »
That's the problem though, Sally. If a field has a name that's stuck, you can't easily change it. Conversations will always be along the lines of "why don't we move them across to middle piddle?"  "Oh, you mean the bull field?".
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 12:17:47 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2023, 04:21:19 pm »
That's the problem though, Sally. If a field has a name that's stuck, you can't easily change it. Conversations will always be along the lines of "why don't me move them across to middle piddle?"  "Oh, you mean the bull field?".

Yup, and that's why ex-BH still had one field I eventually worked out had two names, Dobson's Field and The Thistle Field.  Dobson (who used to rent his one) was long gone afore I ever landed at the farm, the two fields had been knocked into one years earlier, and himself referred to the field by whichever part was uppermost in his mind when he mentioned it!  (Took me a long time to fathom that all out!   :idea:)

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2023, 08:56:59 am »
We have a chunk of pasture on a windy hill which we've divided into varying sized paddocks and given dull names such as Top Field, Bottom Field, Lamb paddock etc.

However, we were told, a year or two after moving here, that our "bit" and the "bit" opposite our house - rented by a neighbour for cattle - were known locally as Little Hope and No Hope. It's never been quite clear which is which though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS