Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meningitis?  (Read 6143 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Meningitis?
« on: May 28, 2010, 09:16:48 pm »
On Tuesday one of our pigs was looking a bit unsteady on her feet and we thought she had strained a hock, but by Wednesday it looked more like a neurological problem - she was staggering, disoriented and her head was tilting, so we called the vet out.  He said he thought it was Meningitis.  She was given a painkiller injection and Penicillin.  The last 2 days we have also givien her 1 Penicillin injection a day.  There has been some improvement, but not as much as the vet implied there would be.

Has anyone reading this had a similar experience?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Meningitis?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »
A few years ago 1 of my Pygmy goats took well with symptoms like you describe and the vet thought it was a form of meningitis but unfortunately my wee man didn't make it. So, fingers crossed that your pig gets well soon.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 09:42:02 pm »
Thanks James - we are going to keep a close eye on her over the weekend and if there is not enough improvement then we will call the vet out again on Monday. 

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 01:46:06 pm »
Anyone else experienced this problem?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 05:24:25 pm »
No, thankfully, and am so sorry for you. 

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 05:49:41 pm »
fingers crossed for the piggies.
always a worry....
x
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 06:18:50 pm »
Spotty is looking better, but her head is still tilted to one side and she is still staggering slightly.  The good news is that she is now eating again.  The recovery is going alot slower than the vet intimated it would.  BTW Ruth it was Owen that come out to us.  Have you had any dealings with him?  He seemed friendly, but in a rush!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 07:20:09 pm »
from Mcmurtry &  Harding?
yes, I have. nice enough.  I like the Irish chap (?Simon?) he's very calm and was great with Sheba - so thats makes him okay!  (some of the women vets are abit intimidating!)
they are often in a rush... I find its often helpful to phone them, and let the most knowledgeable vet ring you back. And thats free!

Glad to hear she's getting a bit better
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 08:22:50 pm »
Owen is Irish too.  Lovely accent.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:11:54 pm »
perhaps thats who I mean?  hopeless with names!!
I love the accent too, mmmm..... !!
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 09:23:28 pm »
 ;D

Rhodie

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 09:49:46 pm »
Strep suus is more common than realised in smallholders herds. The pigs respond quickly to penicillin and always recover if treated early, at later stages, the piglet needs to be given plenty of fluids, as dehydration causes most of the damage due to "salt poisoning"
Later stage pigs are often unsteady for several months but always seem to be normal by 6 months old. The herd develops an immunity once the strep infects them, the antibodies pess through the colostrum to the new piglets, the danger in an established herd, is to introduced pigs which are not immune, and cannot pass immunity to their piglets which then contract the disease.
I had a 650 sow commercial herd go down with strep meningitis, it stableised in about 2 monthsand I only lost 6 weaners through the whole transition to immune herd.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 08:06:40 pm »
These two pigs are due to go to slaughter soon and will be replaced by two more a couple of weeks later.  What are the chances that the second lot of pigs can catch it from the ground?  Thank you for your info it confirms what the vet has been saying.  This is only our 2nd year raising weaners and are hoping that this is a one off and we have been unlucky.

Rhodie

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 08:26:38 pm »
Strep suus is contracted by direct contact and will not persist in the ground or structures, there is a possibility that rats harbour it on infected farms, so a check that your pest controll is up to date will be a good precaution. Good luck with the new weaners.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 08:49:17 pm »
We are on top of rat problems at the moment.  Mr Fox is our problem at the moment.  Thanks for the advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS