Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: old slurry pit  (Read 2752 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
old slurry pit
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:56:40 am »
the property we are looking at now, has an area marked as the slurry pit.. i don't know when the last time it was used or even how deep it is, its very overgrown, and it is wire fenced off

would there be any kind of records kept on the use or amounts of such a pit.. and how long after use are they deemed to be safe ?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: old slurry pit
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 01:55:00 pm »
I don't have a slurry pit but im sure they attract some sort of regulations - maybe through sepa. (I don't know the welsh version of sepa)

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 05:54:04 pm »
Never spotted this before, if you still need help with it let me know

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 10:50:08 pm »
My property has a granite lined hole that use to collect any run off from cows that were here over 20 years ago. We were told it had been fully cleaned out and all it had in when we arrived was rain water. The first year we only used it to water the garden then pumped everything  out and shoveled any residue out too. There was quite alot of leaf debris and grit but not much else. All the animals have been drinking the water from /the well' for two years at least and there have been no problems. My very fussy horse prefers it to fresh water collected from the dripping gutters!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS