Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP urgent  (Read 4109 times)

shiv22

• Joined Apr 2011
  • melvin
HELP urgent
« on: May 02, 2011, 05:33:36 pm »
Hi,
 Any advice would be great please!!!!

I went to get a pygmy goat yesterday after asking alot of questions on the phone (the usual) only to drive 80 miles and find not only had I been lied to the pygmy goat was in a terrible condition >:(. The pygmy cross with what I believe to be a nubian because of the ears is malnurished badly in need of a few good meals. Also to be covered in what looks like fleas and mites, the furr was all matted as well.

Even though I didnt really want a pygmy cross I couldnt leave her there in such awful conditions so I brought her home, I have kept her seperated from every other animal in case of anything transfering. As a quick fix due to late arrival home I dusted her in mite powder and gave her a hearty meal.

I'm unsure as what to do now??? Her coat now looks alot glossier and healthy after a dusting of the powder but I dont really know if this is healthy for her or the right treatment.

PLEASE HELP
Siobhan

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: HELP urgent
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:34:45 pm »
That is such a sad story but hopefully with a very happy ending. Im sure that someone will help you regarding care of your new arrival, I just want to wish you "Good Luck", I look forward to reading about your little one's progress.

Mary.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:44:18 pm »
Good for you, there are some lovely people around  :-*

Dectomax (an injection) will kill anything biting her and worms too - you only need about 1.5ml so a local sheep farmer might let you have that. You might have to wait to bath her until she knows you better but brushing will help (I use a soft horse brush).

As for feeding her, give her some concentrates, but plenty of good hay and water. It's possible to 'kill with kindness' by overfeeding, if her poor rumen isn't used to it - got to build her up slowly.

I'm sure she will do really well - she was very lucky she came across you yesterday  :-*

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:34:27 pm »
There are folk on here that will tell you everything you need to know, they did for me!

I just also want to say what a good thing you did yesterday. And what a lucky goat she is to have you.  :)

McR

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:25:07 pm »
Agreed - slow and steady - your obviously keeping an eye on things, so if it was me I would do normal hard feed rations with nice fresh water and hay and keep an eye on her. Sure she'll perk up soon, best of luck
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:30:00 pm »
She is a lucky goat that you found her.

I would see if you can get hold of some of the Dectomax, or evan some Spot On which will also help get rid of mites/lice. Make sure she is wormed, and really she ought to be dosed for fluke too just in case. Don't let her out on any of your pasture or with the other goats until she has been wormed.

If the weather is nice with you, you could give her a bath. There are special shampoo's you can use, but to be honest, either fairy liquid (well mixed in with some water) or a mild human shampoo will do, as it's too help get dust and mites out, and so that you can brush out her coat.

As others have said, don't give too much hard food to begin with as she probably isn't used to it. Hay, water, ad lib, small amounts of concentrates. Little extra meals if you can manage it of soaked beetpulp, alflafa to help fatten her up a bit.

Beth

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:31:40 pm »
Good for you!!!! :wave:

what area were they in???
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

fruitfarm

• Joined Feb 2011
  • The Lincolnshire Fens
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:38:45 am »

As a precaution I would worm her now and then again in three weeks. Plenty of hay, water and not too much grain and I'm sure you'll soon see major improvements.

And you know what else? She is going to be SO happy to have got away from that awful place to somewhere where she is loved I fully expect her to become one of your absolute favourites ..even though you didn't really want a pygmy cross!  So she's a Kinder is she? Very pretty little goats.

shiv22

• Joined Apr 2011
  • melvin
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 11:33:08 am »
Hi,
 Thank you all for your wonderful advice and support. It is very much appreciated.

I have phoned the vet today and have an appointment later on this afternoon. The vet has said she will treat her for me and also any medication she is given she will give me to administer to my other goats as a precaution.

I have allowed her to wander around the garden with me on a lead to get as much greenery and bark in to her system. She did eat more than I would normally see of my other goats at first but seems to have settled knowing the food is always going to be there. Plenty of hay has been available, carried around by me whilst walking her. I have only given her dry food for the first time today, she was'nt to sure what to make of it.
 She has been drinking a lot more water than I have ever seen my others drink as well.

I'm already very attached to her, she has a very soft natured. I'm weening her slowly off the dependable need she has with humans. This is a very unhealthy need at the moment, she seems to go crazy if you are more than three foot away from her. Although I do love the fact she is very silly tame, I do want her to know she is a goat and should have goat friends rather than just human ones.
 I'm looking forward to introducing her to Melvin, Harriette and Phoebe.

You are right, I did'nt realise that this type of goat was called a kinder thank you. I have done some googling and found that she definatley is after looking at some pictures.

She has been named Cinders I do believe she will be part of my life for a very long time.

I will keep you all updated on what the vet says today. Again thank you for all your wonderful advice.

shiv22

• Joined Apr 2011
  • melvin
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 07:23:17 pm »
 Cinders made it to the vet today, she was fairly happy with the drive there.

The vet said she was fairly healthy so far as teeth, stomach and heart rate go :). She did say she was underweight and malnurished. The vet gave us something to worm her with and also so spot on to solve the mite problem. I will be doing all my other goats as a precaution.

Cinders will be ready to be introduced to the clan tomorrow, I am looking forward to her meeting her new friends. I'm unsure as to what she will make of another goat :goat: - it could be an adventurous day tomorrow.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 09:26:17 pm »
Glad she got a clean-ish bill of health and that you've got some stuff for the additional livestock  :P

Good luck tomorrow  :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 11:32:33 pm »
Well done for bringing the little goat home with you.  I do wonder about people .....how much food would it take to keep that goat in good condition .....not a lot, so why did the owner not feed her??  Ignorance,lack of money,maybe?  Sadly, she is not the only one ......thankfully this one is lucky!!

shiv22

• Joined Apr 2011
  • melvin
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 11:00:18 am »
Not feeling so lucky today  :(

After worming her last night and settling her down she seemed fine. I got up this morning to find she had been sick with what look green and lumpy!! Ive been giving her plenty of fluids and also on the vets suggestion tea, it foesnt seem to be working. How long does a goats digestive system take for thigs to complete their course? I'm very worried as she has'nt enough weight on her to cope with being sick for a few days. I fear this could be fatal for her! :(

I've ran through everything she could have eaten to make sure she has'nt had anything that could poison her, I'm 100% sure she has'nt.

Been a very long few days that looks to be a bit longer and full of more worry.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 11:14:14 am »
Goats cannot be 'sick'.... they can only regurgitate the cud.    Sounds to me as if there is much more going on inside.

From a many years of experience,  I would be feeding this goat hay ad lib,  no concentrates for the moment,  and branches.  Grass may be too rich for her at present.

Having said no concentrates,  there is a product called Fast Fibre intended for horses but excellent for goats with delicate digestive issues.  Also recommended for very old horses with similar problems.

Fast Fibre can fed dry or lightly soaked/damped.  This will fill up her gut which will then start to slow down... why it must do fairly quickly.  If a goats system is not full of dry fibre, it cannot work correctly.  You could also offer Alfa A, which is dried Lucerne.

One way or another you need to get her gut full within the next 24 hours.

Please feel free to ring me for further info.....many other on this forum have done so... on 01647 231456 (evenings best)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS