Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Urine Test  (Read 3815 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
The Urine Test
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:11:07 am »

The Urine test

(This was written by a rig worker in the North Sea - What he says makes a lot of
sense!)

I work, they pay me.   I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as
it sees fit. In order to earn that pay cheque, I work on a rig for a drilling
contractor.   I am required to pass a random urine test for drugs and alcohol,
with which I have no problem.

What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who
don't have to pass a urine test.   Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to
get a benefits cheque because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Please understand that I have no problem with helping people get back on their
feet.   I do on the other hand have a problem with helping someone sit on their
arse drinking beer and smoking dope.

Could you imagine how much money the government would save if people had to pass
a urine test to get a benefit cheque?

Please pass this along if you agree or simply delete it if you don't.

Hope you will pass it along though, because something has to change in the UK ,
and soon!

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: The Urine Test
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 03:46:00 pm »
Guess you could say its taking the p..., sorry, mick!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:48:18 pm »
Very good

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:11:54 pm »
I'll pass it on quite happily.  I agree with the sentiments entirely.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sunnyjohn

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Milton Keynes
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:56:09 pm »
An interesting concept, and one that's bound to raise questions. I confess I have some sympathy for the idea, but why restrict it to benefit claimants? Maybe there is a case for large sectors of the population to be tested one way or another...?

When I saw the title, I was actually expecting something less erudite; something light-hearted and, dare I say, witty? After all, with so many politicians, bankers, corporations and bureaucrats taking the p*ss, maybe THAT was the urine test?

Besides the above list, who else should we be testing to see how 'deserving' they are...?

Cheers,   John

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 08:14:13 pm »
As a fellow random urine testee(!), I second the man.... and will pass it on colleagues (many of whom have had issues with the prospect of testing, its a big company so may take a while to get round us all !)
Little Blue

sandy

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 08:51:58 pm »
I for one think the benift system needs a shake up, some people cannot afford to come off sickness benifits and now with so many newly unemployed how difficult it is to sort the needy from the greedy, sounds like I have done every job but I did work on a Progress 2 work initiative so know a thinkg or two about trying to get unemployed back to work.  I also worked in drug treatment and telephone counselling and know a large proportion of professional people in full time responsible posts, would not pass the urine test!!!! I always thought we should have s sytem were families could be given vouchers for clothing, food etc and a limited amount on fuel...I know in certain cases social services can provide emergency money to top up Gas or Electric cards, but again, limited.
I used to visit many families who had never worked and they lived a richer lifestyle than me!!!! I could go on but I will only get mad, sooooo many people are being kept by others and it has to stop!!!! Benifits are there to help those who cannot work not those who just will not!!

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 05:27:48 pm »
Sandy you are right. I once got some money for a destitute couple. they arrived in a taxi to pick it up!

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 11:25:55 pm »
Is the urine test not more for the benefit of management control on the rigs?
I know quite a few people who take drugs drink alcohol and pay loads of tax.
kirsty

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 08:42:21 am »
On friday a homeless guy with no teeth stopped me in Perth and asked me for money. I gave him all he change I had which was only £2. My huband pointed out that I had probably given him about half a bottle of Buckfast. Well if i was sleeping under a bridge I'd need buckfast to block out the misery.
If we did urine test people for benefits what would happen to the people who didn't pass? and their kids? I once had a contract for a hostel for homeless recovering alcoholics. Those guys were strugging with the Devil trying to leave booze behind. Some of them made it and are still clear 15 years later, some of them went back to their areas and got sucked back into the awful cycle again. 2 of them killed themselves. something fundamental needs to change in the uk that is about culture and society. Money is only one part of it.
kirsty

sandy

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 03:27:27 pm »
I think the urine test is to make sure workers have thier full facilties as they are doing such hazzadose job, part of the risk asessment, the company can blame the worker if he has an accident and has some alcohol or other substance in his/her urine, also, in some industires to test that no harmful chemicals are getting into the system so at a later date the firm cannot be sued for neglegance. I know of at least one person killed at work that was under the influence!!! on a rig the person would have killed or put others lifes at risk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS