Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and snow  (Read 5238 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Pigs and snow
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:12:07 pm »

Well winter has finally arrived in our north west corner of Scotland and I'm wondering how our three Kunes are going to find the significantly colder weather this evening.

I cleaned out their house today and loaded it up with lots of fresh hay, and fixed a sack across the doorway to help keep the draught out.

HappyHippy

Re: Pigs and snow
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:46:51 pm »
They'll love it Gary   ;) (once they get used to cold bellies  :D)
Our big Kune boar was always very reluctant to come in - no matter how deep the snow got  ::)
Only thing I would say is, don't take out all their bedding and put in new stuff. If the old stuff is just a bit muddy, pull the worst of it off and put it outside the door (so they can wipe their feet) and add new stuff on top. This way it gets nice & compacted and forms a good base layer - plus, they'll get thicker coats as it gets colder and when snuggled up together they'll be toasty  :thumbsup: Stick your head into the arc in the morning and you'll see what I mean  ;)

lisanic

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshire, England
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:48:48 pm »
All our pigs lived outdoors through the bad weather last year and it really didnt seem to bother them so I wouldnt worry. One of our sows had her first litter when there was thick snow but all the babies thrived...lots of straw and they were fine. Good luck.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 09:32:47 pm »

Yes I left some of the better hay still inside. I went out earlier to check them and they were snoring peacefully.

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 10:57:59 pm »
heres some of our oxfords last winter, they love some snow, they do like the barn rather than the arks though.

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 11:10:53 pm »
try again with the pic!

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 11:54:29 pm »
They don't look bothered, do they? But then I find they generally look like they're grinning all the time.

We do have a barn but it will need some serious re-arranging before the boys can use it.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:47:05 am »
Lovely pic Windymiller (and pigs !)  :thumbsup:
That one in front does look like she's saying "Do I look bovered" (in a Little Britain stylee)  ;D

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 06:47:19 am »
heres mine in the snow
can't seem to make my pictures smaller
:(
here's a link to my photos
Mx :thumbsup:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.109222595861262.12014.100003205651558&type=1

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 06:51:49 am »
lovely pics  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 09:35:51 am »
Only a sprinkling like icing sugar here this morning but my babies are still insisting on sleeping out in the sun shelter, I top it up every night with dry straw and have enclosed part with some solid topped pallets and they seem fine, to check they're warm i always put a hand just in their front leg armpit if you see what i mean if they're warm there they're fine. theyhave big furry coats (the butcher will love that ::)) but at least i know they're ok. Getting beet now shredded to help maintain fat & energy warming levels.
Best mandy  :pig:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 12:31:12 pm »
just frosty here but their water troughs are solid ice, 11 piglets keeping warm with mum, dreading when i wen them though and no big momma to keep them cosy!

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 02:11:01 pm »
pour some glycerine in the water to stop it from freezing :) about a tablespoon to a trough but tbh it's not exact as it doesn't taste of anything and it doesn't put animals off drinking it.  Used it last year for horses and chickens

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 02:24:38 pm »
Here's some of mine this morning  ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 04:29:31 pm »

We do have a barn but it will need some serious re-arranging before the boys can use it.

I am sure your pigs would hapily do the "re-arranging" for you...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS