Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are you doing this month? February  (Read 5434 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
What are you doing this month? February
« on: February 03, 2013, 11:35:12 am »
So what's everyone up to this month with your goats?

Beth

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: What are you doing this month? February
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 01:53:26 pm »
Vaccinating,cleaning,feeding,foot trimming and wandering when the kid is gona pop out :excited:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:48:22 pm »
Lol, when's she due Carl?

I have just finished mucking out the 'big' pen (haven't been to wash yet, so I still smell very ripe!). This has meant we can do a reshuffle round the goat shed, in advance of kidding. Don't have any due this month, but 4 due in march, all have 6 weeks roughly to go.

So, last years kids got moved into the big pen, Kia and Kola got moved into the pen the kids vacated as it is bigger than the one they were in, and Rula and Rima were split into a pen each, as that is them both with 6 weeks to go. Mum went and vaccinated a friends goats this morning, so we will do ours tonight as well while the vaccine is nice and fresh.

I need to start work this month on this springs project's, which are tweaking the fencing around the mini paddock, putting in a field gate to it, and also getting a new billy shed sorted out!

Beth

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:55:08 pm »
Unsure when she's due as she lived with the billy but the ex owner says about march

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:14:40 pm »
I've just popped Puffin on the milking stand to see if she can play a part in Its Baaath Time while we wait for Savannah to be a maiden again (or not if thats the case!).  Puffin still has some milk in her udder and stood really well considering we've let her just feed Sixpence and not milked her for us till now.
Will see how we go, she's in really good condition so don't think it will be harmful for her to be milked a bit for a short while  :)

Other than that - feet trimming more often than normal for some reason?! suffering with mud, swapping goats into drier paddock, praying poached land will look better soon, enjoying watching them in the sunshine
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 06:14:13 pm »
CAE test on Tuesday, first lot of booster vaccinations (two are due to kid in March) and another go at foot trimming (still lots of shelly hoof  ??? ). Probably setting up a "maternity wing" in the haybarn, as it looks increasingly unlikely that the new extension will be ready in time for the first two kidders....

I am down to two milkers still in milk (they are running through), and have found that the 4 litres per day are just a lot less than I could use... (at the moment I would still have time to make cheese)...

Plums - definitely worth milking Puffin, she may even go up as the days get longer again. She will probably milk through the summer, maybe not as much as she would have if she had been stripped out daily since kidding, but should be ok!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 07:57:11 pm »
I hope so Anke - going to be giving it my best shot. Her teats are diddy!! not going to be easy but have done it once before and intend to again  ;)    Savannah on the other hand has a nice sized udder and large teats, hope she starts producing again march time!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 02:20:01 pm »
On hoof duty mainly, we too have had a problem with shelly hoof, and poor Enid had a dreadful case of rot but she is Sound now!
I bought a new to me product by Teisen (?) called hoof gel. It is a mixture of chelated copper and zinc plus some other stuff and you can just paint it on. It is a miracle worker in my opinion! :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 02:49:31 pm »
I bought a new to me product by Teisen (?) called hoof gel. It is a mixture of chelated copper and zinc plus some other stuff and you can just paint it on. It is a miracle worker in my opinion! :thumbsup:

May just have to try this - otherwise I am worried that my hoofs will not be in "show" condition at all this year... But I have also gone back to feeding seaweed powder more regularly.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 03:51:13 pm »
I don't know if it will cure shelly hoof as such, but it has certainly cleared up the worst foot rot I have shamefully ever had in an animal. We tried 3 antibiotics, foot baths etc but in the end a very thorough paring (took back more than I have ever dared before) and a good painting of this stuff and she has been sound as a pound :relief:
It cost about £12 a pot, and comes with a free applicator ; a paintbrush! So not bank breaking to try it ;)
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 05:54:26 pm »
Where did you get it from CW? I'd like to try it too.  :)  Is seaweed good for hooves then Anke? I hadn't realised that...must buy another pot!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 07:25:33 pm »
Where did you get it from CW? I'd like to try it too.  :)  Is seaweed good for hooves then Anke? I hadn't realised that...must buy another pot!

I got mine from Mole Valley Farmers but hang on a tick.......
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:28:26 pm »
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/teisen-hoofcare-gel-400g?add=1721459&quantity=1

I don't know if they deliver everywhere, but I'm sure you can google other suppliers :thumbsup:

It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 07:39:14 pm »
Thank you  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 08:58:13 pm »
Re seaweed: It is just a general feed supplement, loads of iodine, trace elements, and I sprinkle on a little maybe a couple of times a week. (We ordered a huge bag ages ago...) The Americans feed it ad lib in a "serve yourself" box. Was told at some point that it is good for shelly hoof, but in moderation as it could also cause excessive hardening of the hoof... Jury probably out on it...

Have to say that mine are not lame with it, it is just unsightly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS