Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the veggie plot.  (Read 196834 times)

rustyme

Re: the veggie plot.
« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2008, 04:22:58 pm »
well, another lovely day so far here. I haven't got hardly anything done on the plot really , as it has rained so heavily at night for a few nights now , that I just can not do anything at all . The ground is totally waterlogged , far to wet to work . I have managed to just widen the plot at the far end , just a bit ....a few more feet to go , but I can only just dig and turn the sod ... hehehe literally.. ;) Picked a few stones that could be reached from the side , and de weeded some that could be reached without stepping on the dug soil . It really is frustrating that the weather is really lovely in the day time but really wet at night . Still it will soon change and I will be able to get some seeds sown ... ::) I hope everyone else is doing ok  , getting ready for the sowing rush ....lol.....

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2008, 06:15:25 pm »
Okay i have been quite for a couple of days had a bad 'stomach' attack again but got fed up with sitting on my arse all day and the weather was good too so i got up and packed my troubles in to a draw to to be opened again, lol.

I have now Planted the herbs out in the front of the new section (move them from old garden).
Got some blue bell bulbs and have put them in a lumped area go i can alway move them later. I have been nailing up tellies for the fruit bushes a long the fence, also put up some wires for them to find finally drilled in the hanging baskets i have a couple more to go up but need to buy the bracket, Nailled some 'fence' baskets (the little half ones) and filled two of them with strawberries plants (they are very rustet looking as my hubby save them from the skip, and i have put them up as is).

Also taken some pictures which i will up load to flickrs site soon

Oh i also dug over a small raised bed for the local school Mainly used the rotavator

rustyme

« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2008, 06:33:06 pm »
really sorry to hear the tummy is playing up again Linz....I hope it eases very soon mate.....but well done on getting  loads done despite the tum.....take care though and try not to overdo things especially digging !!!  Rusty looking baskets ? ...nothing wrong with RUSTY looking.... ;D
 As long as they do the job , good enough , even better as they were free... Just heard the weather for the weekend ...cold spell on the way , possible sleet and snow !!!! watch those seedlings.... 

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2008, 08:59:15 am »
Good morning all!

ive just had a lovley long weekend off work and spent most of it in the garden, planting seeds, bulbs, weeding, burning etc etc if you live near a shop called 'pound-stretcher' or even better 'poundland' they have loads of plants for really really cheap prices (the name poundland is self explanatory!) got a bit carried away with bulbs and ended up making two more trips out to buy more compost and pots! also wyevale are doing a grow your own mushrooms in a box thing for £5 ive never grown them before so thought this would be a safe way to have a first attempt!

;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2008, 12:50:52 pm »
Oh stephen why did you have to tell me that lol
My step dd works in pound-stretcher  so i get them even cheaper lol
I'll have to take a look an annoy step dd at the weekend lol
Linz

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2008, 01:19:54 pm »
here are some picvtures from gardenning that promissed you all

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2008, 04:08:00 pm »
good to see everyone has been keeping busy!! hope you are better linz? we have started off the chillis and aubergines now , andhave potted on the caulis (250 of them :o ) started to dig the asparagus bed on Sunday (despite the atrocious weather) so it was all muddy and clay like -it ended upbeing an unmitigated disaster - so i huffed off and chopped some logs instead  >:(!!! the weather has now cleared up , and it promises to be a dry (if cold) week ahead , so i shall attack the bed with renewed vigour this weekend!! ;)

Good luck with the mushrooms Stephen , ive tried the plugs this year - dont look too promising though!!
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

rustyme

« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2008, 04:29:44 pm »
bad luck with the asparagus bed Guy , I am having the same sort of problem here at the moment, very wet so can't even think of standing on dug ground. The Somme like mud, sticks like the proverbial to a blanket....Watch out for the cold spell on the way now though ...it may zap any unprotected seedlings...

Good luck also with the mushies Stephen .....the boxes usually work quite well . I haven't done any for a while now , but when I have they worked for ages , giving plenty of lovely fresh mushies....I am very lucky though as I get plenty of big open mushies from the land. I also have to watch my Wiemaraner,( Millie ), as when they are about, she eats the magic mushrooms that seem to abound on the land ....she is out on Pluto as it is , she doesn't need any help in that department.

Looks like things are getting done there with you linz !!! It's THAT time of year now when everything starts to pop up ....lovely....Mind you , it can be hard work keeping up with it all from now on ... I hope you didn't spen toooooo much money in Pound stretcher  ;) ;)

I only got a bit more widening done today . Not that much more to do, seem to have saying that for weeks now ????, but whats left is slow going as I have to turn the top 6"-9" of soil then break up the stone layer underneath de stone it then break up the clay underneath that ....and the one thing I hate more than digging ..is pickaxing !!! The worst thing is when the pick bounces off a huge stone , it nearly kills me .... :'( :'(  levering out the big stones is murder too....here are some I dug out earlier.....along with mental Millie and poor lovely ole Ghillie RIP.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2008, 09:26:43 pm »
rusty ive thought of a possible money maker for you.....

might be worth a try and see if the local garden centre would like to pay you for your large rocks! wyevale and the local garden centres normally charge a fortune for 'decorative rocks' like the ones in ya pic! proerably be best to ask at an independant gaden centre rather than a chain like wyevale!

ive been banned from the mushrooms!!! They are my oh's little project and im not allowed to touch!! i suppose its fair as i have claimed all of the space in flower beds and all of the pots and i did spend quite alot of his hard earned cash on more pots and compost lol

;D

rustyme

« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2008, 09:35:42 pm »
lol... if I had really dug all those monsters out of the plot I would be dead.... :o :o ;) Although I have had one or two like the smaller ones in the pile , the ones in the pic are from the quarry just a hundred or so yards up the road. It would be a really good money maker if they were mine though , as you say it costs a fortune these days .

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2008, 10:03:16 am »
we have received a set back today - two of my cucumber plants have decided to flopover and pretend to be dead -i wont have any of that malingering though ,so have given them a jolly good talking to and told them to pull themselves together. it seems linda used a new compost with high water retention qualities - so i dont know if they are just too moist? will replant and see ??? it will be like an episode of dr kildare in my conservatory today trying to resussitate the plants -   i have asked if linda would put on a nurses costume to add to the dramatic feel of the situation -  but alas, no!! :D lol - although i think she liked the idea of the conservatory having medical overtones 'cause she walked off muttering something about me needing to see a dr!!! :D lol

my mushroom logs containing the "plugs" now have a healthy covering of white spores and are nearly ready to go out ( as long as "harvey" doesnt drag them around the garden.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:21:22 am by Guy »

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #206 on: March 20, 2008, 03:32:47 pm »
lol oh no i thought we only had one nutter but know we have two Russ and Guy,
But am alright in my wee little white room with pillows on the wall incase i hurt my head lol
Not been in the garden today i have that thing we call some work todo, This happen when you don't have a normal 9-5 work and you get summode todo work and work you @rse for 3 week straight lol (althought it best todo it this way when you have a diable son as you can take him along and the 'bosses' don't mind) The only prob is am knackered didn't get home until 7 last night and started at 8 in the morning It's great being contractors aye. Finished early today so am home vegging out watch all the progs i recorded.
Linz

rustyme

« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2008, 05:17:54 pm »
thats really terrible news Guy ...I am so sorry for you mate ....you could try a tenns machine , that may be enough to resuscitate your cucumbers  :o ( ooooh er misses ) can't think of anything worse than a floppy cucumber !!!! ;D Oh well good luck with them .....
     The nurses uniform  !!!!! :o ::) ermmm oooooh arrrrgh ...well I would have thought that would cure floppy cucumber syndrome in an instant.... :o Go on Linda ....play the game , think of all the poor little cucumbers you could save!!!......oh and  err.. pictures required.... :o :o ;D ;D Purely for scientific research of course..... ;)
      Make sure the mushroom logs are well out of dog wee reach ..... or is that Harvey the invisible 6' rabbit ? Anyway , I think dog wee kills the spore/mycelium so therefore no mushies !!!!
      Nutters , NUTTERS ? ...nothing wrong with me .....they said that when they let me out ....I even got a certificate to prove it ....well they said I was certified anyway so near enough ...
     Well if you can't get on one veggie plot, then vegging out on the sofa in front of the tv is near enough Linz...why not...the weather here is going downhill rapidly at the moment ....getting very dark and dismal , steady rain and strong wind , and the temp is going down and down ....winter is back .....still I did get a bit more digging done today before it started to get bad....Really annoying , as the ground has just dried enough to get on and clear ....oh well ,back to the Somme again !!!    Think I may go back to the 1600's again tonight and watch Tales from the Green Valley !! Only the warm summer ones though ..  ;)

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #208 on: March 20, 2008, 11:27:38 pm »
you have a well deserved rest linz!!
yes Russ - Harvey is one of the dogs , the 6' rabbit is under control these days - he lives in the big warren over the hill and under the oak tree!!!
alas the cucumbers , are still floppy  :( but nevermind day off tomorow , so im sure a rest from the pressures of work will work wonders :)
good news in the polytunnel - we now have 7 spuds coming through!! hussar!
Russ , i think i know why you like to spend so much time in hospitals - not for your "special problems" - but for interest in nurses !!!  :D lol

rustyme

« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2008, 04:49:49 pm »
It is a really horrible day here today now . There were a few ok spells around mid day , so managed to get a bit more widening of the plot done . Just a little tiny corner bit left to do now. There is still the pick axe work to be done on the widening strip , but I will just do as much of that as I can each day. I seem to manage about 6'x4' per day of that , but I don't really try anymore than that as it is probably my most hated job of all, it jars just about every bone in my body .... :'(  Inspite of all the rain , sleet and hail we have had here, the plot seems to be holding up ok ...it must be the very strong wind drying it out . So with a lot of luck , I will be able to clean the plot of all weed and grass before too long. ::)
       Nurses: the last asyl....errrr hospital I was in , all the nurses were male ... >:( didn't like that idea much , so dug my way out ...hehehe.... Good news about the spuds Guy ....they should make up for the floppy cucumbers ???? ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS