Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: INTEGRATING PIGS - ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE  (Read 3671 times)

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
INTEGRATING PIGS - ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:42:33 pm »
Hello All

As a new pig keeper / smallholder still getting to know my wonderful pigs.. I would appreciate your advice / thoughts please on the following:-

I have two GOS gilt sisters 18 months old in one field. They are big but very gentle and friendly.  I have a Mangalitza gilt one year old and four assorted weaners around four and a half months old.. in another one - one of the weaners is a boar.

The Mangalitza gils has just come into heat today and is harassing the young boar (he is a cross Mangalitza Berkshire).

I moved the Mangalitza gilt into the middle field between the two but both GOS and the Manglalitza 'argued' and did not like each other at all and I thought one of the GOS's was going to come through the fence even tho' it is very strong and well built.

So I swapped and tried the boar in the middle field and planned to move him in with the two GOS sisters but one in particular has been very aggressive trying to bite him through the strong fencing. There is lots of nashing of teeth and foaming at the mouth on both sides but the boar is a fiesty but friendly chap and is taking it all in his stride.

So - would I be okay to put the boar in with the two big GOS sisters (each one weighs around 300lbs each so doubt he could 'do the business with them before he goes to the butchers). As dont want him to mess with my pure bred Mangalitza but dont want him to be hurt by the big sisters and want him to have some company - he is great freinds with the others in the other field.

I have just been out and given him a drink and he is cool and had a belly rub and does not seem phased by the change - just dont want him to get hurt by the two big ones - or am I being over cautious?

So .. advice please.. should I put him on with them. . or do you have any other suggestions.

I am planning to get a couple more weaners and some older pigs but not for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for reading and look forward to your replies!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:13:23 am by zackyb »

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: INTEGRATING PIGS - ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:08:08 am »
Whilst life is never 100%, it is generally easy to mix pigs of different ages, and he should integrate with them fairly easily.

A few points to consider

1. Pigs need a "flight distance" - that is when two pigs meet, they will push shoulder to shoulder to see who is stonger.  When they do this, the losing one needs to be able to run away. Generally you need a minimum of about 30 ft.  When the losing one realises that he/she will not win, then they run, persued by the other, the winner will give up quickly if the loser continues to run.  If the loser hasn't the distance to run, then the winner will continue to harrass, and the loser continue to fight as he/she cannot run away. Wth your mix, it may well be the boar who approaches the girls.

2. You may get no agression at all, or you may get a few scratches on the shoulders, and any "fighting" is likely to be short lived. Have an anti-bacterial spray such as septi-cleanse handly to just spray any scratches.

3. They may not sleep togther on night 1.  A second shelter should be provided to allow for this.

4. Introduce when there is still some hours of daylight left, so that new one finds boundaries, water etc. in daylight.  

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:44:59 am »
Thanks very much for your reply - much appreciated.

I am still not sure as my boar is very small in comparison to my two very large GOS sisters - it might be better if I put my one year old Mangalitza gilt in with them.  As she is very well covered with her thick red wiry coat - risk of skin injury should be minimal. There is plenty of running / flight room. But my Manglalitza is a friendly but fiesty girl and she is a different temperament to the two GOS as in a 'go ahead punk make my day' Clint Eastwood kind of way.. so she is more likely to stand her ground I think - whilst the GOS are more Mrs Doubtfire panic station kind of girls! So more likely there would be a standoff with the three ladies do you think and even though my Mangalitza is much smaller weight wise she is fiestier? Do pigs have stand off's or does one always run and submit?

Also what I had not thought of last night when I posted this is that when the two GOS come into heat they will be harassing the little boar again and if they lay on him the same way that the Mangalitza tried to lay on him he will be squashed flat as a pancake!

Dont want any injuries and happy relaxed pigs - but are the GOS less likely to be horrible and aggressive to the boar as my Mangalitza is my most expensive outlay and has an excellent pedigree so dont want to lose her. Then when they come into season I would have to move him again.

The boar is going to the butchers in a few months ... but want to breed from my three gilt girls .. so might be easier to keep him in my middle field as he can see and touch his friends through the fence and wait for my Mangalitza's season to finish. Then put him back in with the small herd and maybe take him to the butchers earlier.

Eeh decisions decisions.. thanks again for your advice!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:05:47 am »
You're unlikely to get a "fight to the death" situation between gilts and boars.
Whenever I mix new pigs together I give them all a spray of something strong smelling (disinfectant, iodene, body spray would do as a last resort) I think it helps.
If your gilts are coming into season they will harass the wee boar (he's a man after all and they know that  ;)) and I wouldn't rule out him being able to cover them either  ::) It's amazing how determined they can be  ;D
Good luck
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:38:40 am »
sorry to interject here but sows and boars are not supposed to fight        a more experianced breeder than us informed us of this years ago  years ago   WRONG  we bought a single sow (saddelback) had been kept by its self  introduced to the boar through the gate chomping and slavering for several hours all seamed settled then introduced      ALL HELL BROKE OUT lucky no deaths  and every time she was in season and gouping for it he would not come near her not that he did at any other time           i was sick of eating pork after she went
hampshire gilt just would not  let the boar near her so when in season brought into the tamworth boar same as before fighting only this time he nailed her after an hour of fighting foreplay      and  the hamlops were the end product  :farmer:

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:51:04 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies.

For now am keeping little boar in the middle field and (as there is still much stand off brovado going on with chomping and lunging ) so am not going to risk him in with the mardy sisters! I will lhave him back in when Mangalitza has come out of season then take him to the butchers earlier than planned until I am in a position to get my other fields ready for more stock so can keep boar away from others - think this is the safest and least stressful for us all for now.. hot weather does not help - at least pigs have lovely big mud wallows to cool off  in - Phew!!

Thanks again all

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:38:47 pm »
we were cautious about introducing our young gos gilts with a mature tammie sow but they were no trouble. theyv got a pecking order but didnt have the squabbles id imagined would occur.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS