Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help - need advice re tube feeding lambs/ewe rejection  (Read 10609 times)

Emma

• Joined Feb 2010
  • South West Somerset
Re: help - need advice re tube feeding lambs/ewe rejection
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 11:14:38 am »
Hi, i had a lamb who we hand reared cause her mother completly regected her!! I took her home and had her on a hot water bottle i was choobe feeding her to start with and then took her onto the bottle. It does take time to get the lamb used to succeling but the lamb will eventually get it. The sooner you start to bottle feed the better the longer you leave it the less likely you are or the lamb succeling. Hope you're lamb is ok.
Emma's Dispatcher's . . . .  Intrested in having you're business advertised with door to door flyer's or newsletters at competitive prices then contact me at emmaogrady@hotmail.co.uk.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Re: help - need advice re tube feeding lambs/ewe rejection
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 08:25:09 pm »
Hi Emma   thanks for your message

update on the lamb - she's now approaching 4 weeks old and although she's small she's doing ok              she's still in with the ewe and her two brothers            husband has been in charge of the bottle feeding, but when she's offered the bottle she typically only takes 30 - 50 ml which is nothing really - she must be getting to feed from the ewe when theyre inside or she surely wouldn't still be here?      they've all got access to creep feed so hopefully thats helping           the main problem is that the ewe clearly differentiates when they are outside and lets the tup lambs feed but doesn't appear to let this ewe lamb feed (they've only been getting out when the weather is good) Unfortunately this means I can't confidently leave them out for a whole day as she probably wouldn't get any milk for the whole day!        Now I let them out for the afternoon only so that they get out for a run about but arent out so long that the ewe lamb gets too hungry       

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS