Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slapshot  (Read 9106 times)

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
Slapshot
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:56:59 am »
Morning!

I recently brought a slapshot, as recommended by Oaklands on a recent post.  Any idea which is the best size needle to use with this to give a 5 month old pig a subcutaneous injection of a few ml of Noromectin? Looking at vet meds the possibilitys are endless and the needles all look the same to me. In the past i used ones the vet gave me but i stupidly forgot to check what size they were.

Thanks in advance!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Slapshot
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:16:22 am »
we use 25mm/½ inch needle, and remember you'll need  luer-lock needles
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:22:39 am »
Please please do tell me Oaklands how you use a slapshot without masses of air bubbles in the tube - thanks, Tamsaddle

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:42:50 pm »

Do you mean 25mm (1 inch) OR Half inch (12mm) needle?

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 12:46:00 pm »

Pete

Sorry never got the hang of metric - 1/2 inch so whatever that is in new money !

will answer the bubble question later !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 12:53:23 pm »

Pete

Sorry never got the hang of metric - 1/2 inch so whatever that is in new money !

will answer the bubble question later !

1/2 inch = 12mm (or 12.7mm to be precise)
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 05:49:38 pm »

1/2 inch = 12mm (or 12.7mm to be precise)
Yes, I carefully googled the conversion for an inch, and then forgot to halve it !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 06:06:10 pm »
Please please do tell me Oaklands how you use a slapshot without masses of air bubbles in the tube - thanks, Tamsaddle

There are a number of ways.

If you measure the exact amount the slapshot takes (use water), then you'll know for future, ours takes just under 2ml.

The trick is not to fill an empty tube by sucking, but fill from the syringe.

If you're just doing one jab, use an oversize syringe that'll hold 2ml plus what you need to jab - eg if you need a 5ml dose use a 10ml syringe.  Ignore the slapshot, and just fill the syringe with (in the example above) 7 ml straight from the bottle.  Then remove the needle and connect the slapshot between the syringe and the needle.  Squeeze the syringe to fill the tube, thus giving you a tube with 2mm and the syringe with 5mm, Now when presses the syringe will dispense the 5mm needed.

If you're doing multiple jabs, or only have a syringe of the needed size then you need to use a "clean needle/dirty needle" system - just as you would without slapshot - you should not be using a needle that has entered a pig to stick back into the bottle as this can contaminate.  So proceed as follows - 2 people can make this work very quickly and effectively - if takes afr longer to describe than to do!

1. Put 2mm into the syringe as you would without slapshot. 
2. Disconnect needle and keep as clean (we leave this in the bottle)
3. Connect slapshot (with a different clean needle) to syringe and fill with the 2mm.
4. Now (and this is key) make a U with the slapshot tube so that the needle end is level with the syringe end.
5. Disconnect the syringe, the tube will stay full as both ends are level
6. Connect the syringe to the clean needle in the bottle and put in the dose needed
7. Disconnect the clean needle and connect to the slapshot - jab pig.
8. Remake make the U with the slapshot tube so that the needle end is level with the syringe end.
Repeat from 5 above

Long post - much shorter to do.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:24:06 pm »
Many thanks.  I will definitely have a go, or try it out with water and an orange instead of a pig, first.   Tamsaddle

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 08:25:48 pm »
That has answered my longstanding question too ... I fully understand now and will purchase a Slapshot as a result. 

Many thanks Oaklands   :thumbsup:
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 02:42:54 pm »
Thanks for that invaluable info! When we did our pig keeping course (with Tony York) we all practiced injecting a pig with a slap shot and it seemed so easy. Having done it myself with a normal needle and syringe, I realise it really isn't so easy, so hoping this makes it much better!

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 03:34:46 pm »
http://www.slapshot-flex-vac.com/video.htm

iv never used one but prefer the gun to put the needle in with cos im squeamish, but we do bend a few needles. do u not jab ur fingers with a slapshot?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:41:36 pm by princesspiggy »

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 03:56:58 pm »
Just looked at purchasing a Slapshot and noted that most sites selling them are in the US.

See http://www.enasco.com/product/C14747n

The price in USD is $10.85 which when converted is £6.98p

In the UK see http://www.farmandcountrysupplies.co.uk/slapshot-flexible-vaccinator.ir?cName=farm-smallholding-medical-healthcare-needles-drenchers-pour-on-applicators-syringesgunsapplicators

The price here in the UK is £18.35p

??? ...... unless anyone knows of another (cheaper) source .....
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 05:52:22 pm »
Help!
I'm still confused.  ???  What is the best gauge size to use?18G, 21G or which?  Also, I just had a quick look at vet meds and couldn't see any, 1/2 inch (12 mm) needles. The smallest they had on there seem to be 16 mm. Is that length OK, seems a bit small?  :-J

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 07:11:16 pm »
16mm will be fine (5/8 inch), would go for 18G from your suggestions- Ivermectin (another brand of the same active ingedient) recommend 17G, so 18G will be fine.  Our current ones are 20G and work fine with Ivermectin.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS