Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick birds?  (Read 1669 times)

SmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2009
Sick birds?
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:29:23 pm »
Hi there,

To get straight to the point, all three of my birds (2 hens 1 rooster) have started to lose feathers on tail and necks (Although the rooster isnt to bad on his neck) and one hen started to wheeze while breathing. So I kept them in their pen, sprayed them for red mite and fed them a tonic in their water, the wheezing hen has stopped it when breathing, although still sounds funny when she clucks. As for the feathers what could it be? Moult? Oh and, I just recently changed from sawdust to paper shreddings for the bedding (Although this started while they were on sawdust) One last thing, they are being fed alot of oats.

Thanks.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:02:45 pm by SmallHolder »

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Sick birds?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 08:16:22 pm »
they are probably too hot!
You've seen the ready-brek advert "central 'eating?"   well, the oats will be keeping their body temperature up, so they may be feather plucking to cool down. 
or they are moulting.

maybe a course of anitbiotics would help with the respiritory problem?  it could be any number of things, maybe call your vet or search t'internet abit to see which symptoms match the closest
Little Blue

SmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 08:39:03 pm »
Thanks little blue, The respiratory problem seems to have gotten better over the past 3 days with the tonic I have been giving them, so I shall keep giving it to them. I suspected they are moulting, anyway. Since their egg laying has been "suspended"  :D I was just worrying a bit, anyway. Otherwise they seem to be in great health.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 12:00:56 am »
I'd cut down on the oats as well.  Mine are on layers pellets with an occasional bag of mixed grains, and supplemented with any fruit of veg that they might eat - although they are fussy b-----s ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 09:39:33 pm »
Ah mine aren't that fussy, they'll eat anything thats going  :D Does anyone know a battery hen rescue site that operates in Northern Ireland? Thanks in advance.

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:48:12 pm »
Most of mine are being got at by Charlie Drake  :&>, a lot have feathers missing from the middle of thier backs although Charlie misses a few of them and they are OK, not sure if they will make a hard winter with thier backs bare!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS