Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: OMG my chickens are cannibals  (Read 6195 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: OMG my chickens are cannibals
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 09:16:56 pm »
I had this happen to one of my hens, i caught the offender in the middle of eating the egg while the chicken was trying to laying it, if you have hens that eat the eggs this can be the next step for them as they  wait for eggs to be laid, sometimes if they can see the egg they will start before it is laid and then cause damage to the laying hen. I culled the offending hen immediately as I did not want her to start on the next hen. Hens can be canabalistic, I have used purple spray on a damaged chicken, they seem to leave it alone then.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 09:37:15 pm »
I was told that purple spray seals in an infection. Anyone else heard that?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chickenfeed

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 09:52:49 pm »
 ;) i have had groups of chickens attack one or two chickens until blood is drew, when anti peck and stockholm tar have failed i use bumpers / glasses as a instant fix, not the easiest things to fit but 100% results and much better than loosing a bird, i keep them in stock all he time just incase.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 10:06:03 pm »
they are not kind, but nature rarely is...in my early days with birds some drakes killed a sick duck by gangraping her, poor thing could not get away. but same here, she probably would have died anyway, just a little later...
So sorry to hear about your job, hope all will work out  :&>
Chickenfeed - can you elaborate bumpers and glasses??? :&>

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 10:14:05 pm »
Sorry egbert, I hope things work out. I have lost one recently too. My lovely friend Ros told me that if you see a chicken is sick it is often too late to help them. They tend to hide their illnesses because if they show weakness the top of the pecking order tend to pile in for the kill.
I sincerely wish your problems are holding a blessing that will open doors in your life. Sending Love. Julia XXX  :love:
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

Sandy

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 10:36:42 pm »
Horrid but nature, my brother told me about the chap who had a headless chicken and it lived for 18nts!!  google headless chicken!

chickenfeed

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 06:48:48 am »
 :wave: sorry i just took it for granted bumpers were well known about my greatgrand father used them.

i buy mine from my local merchant, ebay has them on atm item no 290477828693. glasses i have not used myself but know of people that do google them or look them up in a old poultry book. when i use them i put one on each bird thus putting a end to pecking order and letting injuries heal, they dont look nice a first the chickens can still eat, drink and preen itself just cant pluck other birds or peck at flesh.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 08:57:26 am »
Sorry to hear about all the dead chooks.
I've lost 3 myself in the last 3 weeks :'(
Maybe there is something in the air!

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 12:44:29 pm »
Hi Annie

We use purple spray for the horses have used it for years on cuts and grazes etc, also used it on the dog when he lost a dew claw, never had a problem with it but I guess there is always the chance that it could seal infection, I wouldn't use it unless i had cleaned up the wound first and flushed it out, then dry and use the purple spray, that way it should work.

Dawn

Sandy

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 01:33:11 pm »
The more you read about chickens it can put you off, now I don't feel so bad about getting some to eat!!!!! I just read that the heads blink etc for ages when they are cut off, I know the legs twitch....blimy, fancy seeing a whole lot running around headless...youre not having me on are you??????? I mean articles on google are not fact ALL the time  ;) Anyway, my father in law used to spray that purple stuff on my hands when I had dermititus from working in my cafe years ago, it did look very attractive :o

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 04:14:57 pm »
Hi Sandy, purple hands! lovely, I presume it is the same stuff (Gentian Violet) that we used to be given for babies when they had thrush in the mouth, imagine how I used to look when I was breastfeeding, purple hands dont seem so bad now eh LOL.

Sandy

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 09:38:01 pm »
I had that too!!!!!!!!!!! very pretty, I love  purple!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS