Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lick buckets….my shameful fixation  (Read 2210 times)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
Lick buckets….my shameful fixation
« on: October 26, 2023, 04:58:22 pm »
I lurk on TAS as I am interested in agri topics but I am essentially a townie. I enjoy visits to the country for walks etc. I pick up litter if it doesn’t look too unsavoury. I steal empty lick buckets. So often they are littering a verge, hedge or ditch I am sure they must be finished with. But am I wrong? Are they serving any use eg if filled with rain is that the only water for livestock? Are they valuable? Does the owner eventually gather them up in order to recycle them/collect a deposit?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Lick buckets….my shameful fixation
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 06:47:42 pm »
No, collect away. You're doing the farmer a favour.

We have about fifty we've collected, that we grow tomatoes in.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 09:31:26 pm »
Is that the round drum things about 10 inches high?  You can make totem poles, scarecrows, and garden ornaments with them by piling one on another and decorating and clothing them.  Best if you can get the lids too
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 12:06:24 am »
We reuse ours, as do many farmers.  The big round ones make great water buckets, storage buckets, an upturned one was my milking stool for years!  The smaller oblong ones are just the right size for a Box to Carry Things In on the quad bike, in the boot, and so on, and also get used as feed buckets for animals.  I have about 30 with lids I use as mothproof lightproof yarn and fibre storage boxes. 

A sizeable farm often collects up more than they can reuse themselves of course and many sell surplus in lots of 10 at farm sales and so on. 

I think most farmers would say "help yourself" if you asked - but it would be polite to ask, if you can identify the farmer in question - which I know isn't always easy. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 05:43:41 pm »
Thank you all…..yes I should ask…..to be honest I have had the habit for long enough that I have enough buckets to serve for a while. Do any of you watch Cammy (from Landward) on YooToob? He recently visited a lick manufacturer. (His channel is The Sheep Game.)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS