Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Secret talents of a smallholder!  (Read 10880 times)

princesspiggy

Re: Secret talents of a smallholder!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 08:33:09 am »
try reversing down single lane road on hill, in dark, on ice and brakes wont work! not fun, thought heart would stop!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 11:04:20 am »
im quite willing to knock it in reverse for a on coming vechicle but NOT when i got a trailer on :D
interesting comment ;)
langdon

Lol- needing to practice your reversing the trailer Langdon? My OH is very superior about his driving skills being better than everyone else (he did some racing so has been driving since he was 8 )- but he does totally concede I am far better at towing (and especially reversing the trailer) than he is!

Beth
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:36:07 pm by ballingall »

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 11:20:55 am »
I can't reverse a trailer  :-[
Been off and on tractors since I was about 6, driving old landies from about 10, I can drive just about anything and I'm really good (oops better be careful what I say !) at reversing BUT I just can't for the life of me get into the hang of reversing a trailer  :-\ I just seem to get into a total fankle and the more I try to fix it the worse it gets lol! But now that I've got my very own trailer (well, once it's all tickled up) there's no more getting out of it - lots of practice in the field me thinks  ::) ;D ;D ;D

Sandy

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 11:43:34 am »
I only have chickens and our dogs but I think any one with animals becomes and expert in pooooo!!!!!! This snow and ice makes it much worse to deal with!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 04:00:26 pm »
I only have chickens and our dogs but I think any one with animals becomes and expert in pooooo!!!!!! This snow and ice makes it much worse to deal with!!!
I'm leaving it all for the rain to dissolve next week ;) ;)

Re reversing - I learnt to drive on my Granda's big Thames Trader freezer lorry at 17, I can parallel park beautifully, but can I reverse along our driveway in a straight line - no chance! ::)  What is wrong with me  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

princesspiggy

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 07:20:22 pm »
lol -  ;D ;D
im the opposite, i can reverse for ages but never managed to reverse park in style since i took my test 18 years ago!!
picking up poo is a lifestyle choice  lol   ;D ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 07:23:02 pm »
actually - its fine reversing a trailer if u do it alot, but then wen uv no trailer its suddenly hard and u end up halfway up the verge  ;D ;D

Sandy

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 07:37:59 pm »
I hate driving anyway now, most of my jobs have entailed (is that a word?) driving, so now I work from home I don't do much at all BUT, as we had a huge twin axle caravan and a trailer some years ago when I first passed my test, I practiced on a toy ccar, looking at it when it went back wards, then I went to a car park and practiced and practice but this time with a real car and trailer, see I'm not that daft  ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 10:01:17 pm »
princesspiggy- I think you might be right, it might just be that you get used to it! Practicing is a great idea- I never did much practicing, but I suppose most of the time I am reversing in fairly big spaces. It's only occasionally I have to reverse somewhere narrow. I once dropped off a caravan, and the guy said to me, "I don't suppose you can reverse it into the field entrance" (a horrible muddy track). He was gobsmacked when I did it in one go driving the transit. On the other hand, sometimes I have a go, and I'm all over the place!   ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 08:36:02 pm »
its worse when someone is watching!! especially at market!  ::)

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 11:08:58 pm »
I can reverse well, due to narrow lanes around here. Can reverse trailer when I don't think too hard about it. I find its a sensory thing, I know when it won't work before I've gone too far. Hubby taught me to drive and reverse. We have a small narrow trailer that is a real bitch to reverse in an old landy but easy on a quad bike. A big trailer can often be easier than a small one. Totally agree its less likely to work if people staring. Spent ages this summer teaching my 13yr old to reverse the small trailer but he did get the hang of it, daughter didn't though.

Secret talents are finance director/hotel services director/midwife/emergency veterinarian/peace keeper/site foreman/stock controller/agony aunt/counselor/chef/maitre d/sales director/advertising consultant/hr manager
and so the list rattles on. If only one could claim a decent wage for the extremely hard work and stress it takes.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

kook

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 03:00:08 pm »
well, interesting post- I used to be a bricklayer (but I'm allright now!) then became an international haulier, and yes I too am learning new skills all the time  . I love cooking and have built a woodfired oven  can fit a young pig in it. we have wild ones here that taste divine with bay that I pick off a tree nearby  finished the olives earlier today (! JOB LESS) will fill in the time till dark putting a few more stones on a wall in a field close to home  pleasant as it is 23deg now till 5.30  frost in the morning though

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS