Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The will to live  (Read 8535 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: The will to live
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 06:43:44 pm »
Poor lambie  :sheep:  He has a good chance of his tongue healing well, and even of some regrowth so he'll be fine once past this stage.  The thought of him hanging there with his legs stuck back while something pecked his tongue is awful - bet he has nightmares  :(  Lucky he has you to look after him Sally  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 06:57:43 pm »
woollyval- did the raven take a HEALTHY 2 week old lamb? Did you see it?

How much danger from crows/ ravens? We have lots and lots of them.  :o

More for me to worry about ::)

Well we have a lot of corvids and buzzards. I don't worry about buzzards but the raven last year pecked the behind of a sleeping lamb.....confirmed by vet as took for pm as puzzled. Not a thing wrong with him except a badly pecked anus!!! Vet said ravens sometimes will attack a very small lamb in this way creeping up on them....mine ARE very small lambs!!!  Apparently they die of shock and heart failure  :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 07:01:47 pm »
Poor little thing, you have certainly done all you could have for him.  Sometimes they do survive against all odds though.  My little Gotland Tiny, the one who was a whisker away from dying earlier this year, was not expected to make it by the vet or the people at the agricultural merchants where I asked advice.  But, every day despite the fact she could not stand or even sit up without being propped up via bales, she was eating (albeit not very much), and I thought while she was eating there was hope.  Gradually she rallied and is now amazingly plump and healthy looking, and is fast catching up with her peers size-wise.

So I reckon there is every chance yours will make it  :) :sheep:

Blimey woolleyval I too have loads of them in my fields (and nesting in my chimney!).  My lambs are all sprightly and alert so hopefully they aren't going to be crept up on!  Horrible things ...  >:(
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 07:15:29 pm »
Ive never thought of crows being a danger to older lambs, but I have noticed there are more of them this year than ever, we've been here 13 years and never really noticed them until this year,  I wonder why the increase? Gun time perhaps!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 01:58:23 am »
How did the lamb do Sally?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 06:30:46 am »
His tongue was shorter than normal but did regrow quite a bit.  Eventually he was no longer thirsty for his twice-daily bowl of milk, so was getting what he needed from his mum, so he went out with all the others.   

I couldn't tell you now which he is/was or when/whether he went away.  We've still about 1/3 of the crop to go, so he could still be here - but somehow I suspect he's long away, he was a good do-er once he could get the food into him!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 03:56:11 pm »
Thanks
Great to hear  :thumbsup:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:24 pm »
That's an amazing story! Just goes to show how animals can survive if they have the willpower and human assistance. Well done SallyintNorth. :trophy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS