Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rabbits  (Read 10661 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Rabbits
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:53:48 pm »
We only have 2 acres but there are loads of rabbits. They are a real problem. A chap comes around every now and again and shoots some of them. I am less successful with my air rifle. I wondered what experience anyone had with the use of snares? I'm not into killing things for the sake of it, but I do need to do something.

deepinthewoods

Re: Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 07:56:31 pm »
have you tried carrots?? ;)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:58:20 pm »
have you tried carrots?? ;)

No but they have tried mine.. and other things too

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:11:57 pm »
I was a dab hand with a wire as a youth. Not sure how PC it is now. I still have a longnet somewhere too. Both things work on the right days, or you could try getting someone in with ferrets if the warren is on your ground.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:17:18 pm »
I was a dab hand with a wire as a youth. Not sure how PC it is now. I still have a longnet somewhere too. Both things work on the right days, or you could try getting someone in with ferrets if the warren is on your ground.

Suspect there is more than one warren - plenty of holes that you put your arm down to past your elbow vertically into the ground. Suspect previous owner didn't do much to stop the damage to the ground being done which is strange as apparently they kept horses which I would have thought would have been quite dangerous as they could easily have had one of their legs go straight into one of the holes.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 11:02:02 pm »
Well, were I to be setting a 'hypothetical' wire, then I wouldn't be doing it at burrow entrances anyway - the rabbits are too cautious and they don't get caught. The place to set them is where rabbits have to squeeze through somewhere - where they push under fences is good. The other place to set them is on 'tamps': rabbits tend to hop and land in the same places, so if you look at their runs, where the grass is worn, it should be worn shorter in a series of 'spots' than others, if you set one at the front of one of these, at about fist height, they will end up pushing through it, even better when there is a tuft beside the run at that point. You use what is known as a 'tealer' to keep the snare at the height you want it (this is a forked twig) and peg the wool into the ground with a hazel peg just over a finger thick. Bury your snares for a week first (remember where!) and when you are setting them, rub soil on your hands to mask your scent. Check them every few hours.

You will find the rabbits will either kill themselves very swiftly in 'textbook' style or just sit there when they realise they cant move (the wire will stay pretty loose in this case) so all you do is pic them up and stretch them.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:40:58 am »
We have used Fenn traps, which by law have to be checked once a day but I checked much more often, I believe snares are the same. Nasty but sometimes necessary. If I had the confidence I'd try for some of our bunnies, but would probably get a cat. 
Local gamekeeper set one for a problem fox a few years ago - got a badger-with a temper! had to lean over the fence with bolt croppers to free it and it tried to attack us, glad the fence was there.

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:25:54 am »
SteveHants is spot-on with his instruction, and I got a supply of snares from a fishing shop a couple of months ago.  They must be checked often.

bangbang

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 05:59:20 am »
How quick does it actually take for a rabbit to die using a snare?
The thought of it wriggling and panicing as the life is squeezed out of it
would put me off ever considering this method.
I think we've moved on since 'Trapper John' days.
Get someone who knows what the're doing, has the right rifle, to do the job.
You find you might sleep better, and not have dreams of rabbits squerming on a wire
and their little lives being slowly drained from them.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 07:21:25 am »
Ahh BangBang, you're just a big old softy aren't you.  :D
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:46 am »
"Getting someone with a rifle" sounds easy but it is not. Firearms are now very tightly regulated indeed, as is the ammunition which they use and the circumstances where the gun can be fired.

The .17 calibre favoured around here by the police reduces the value of the rabbit to zero by its impact, so increases the cost to the landowner.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 10:20:05 am »
How quick does it actually take for a rabbit to die using a snare?
The thought of it wriggling and panicing as the life is squeezed out of it
would put me off ever considering this method.
I think we've moved on since 'Trapper John' days.
Get someone who knows what the're doing, has the right rifle, to do the job.
You find you might sleep better, and not have dreams of rabbits squerming on a wire
and their little lives being slowly drained from them.

Is that a haiku?  ;D

But seriously, when they do strangle themselves they don't take long because usually they are running and they pretty much do themselves with that first push through. When they slip through gently, you get the 'sitter' situation that I described before.

You could try longnetting if you wan to take a good few - the only faff is the net itself, I think electric fence posts are probably the thing to run it out on, I used to use hazel (again), but it is quite cumbersome. There are two ways of doing it - you run the net out in situ between the grazings and the warren along a fence or hedge preferably with the back of the net tied up off the deck so the bunnies can move freely (in the day - unless you are some kind of masochist). You then sneak in at night and drop the net (so tie it using loops and a bow at one end) and scare the rabbits into it using a dog or moving along clapping etc (some people use bags on string with pebbles in so they 'flap' carried between two people).

Or: If you need to do the whole operation in one night (can't think why you might do that.... :innocent:  ) - you attach the net to the posts and fold it in such a way that you can release it walking backwards (so you line the posts up with the net hanging down between them), making up some sort of 'jig' to rest it on is fairly easy, you then cary the lot round your neck. (I have heard of people rolling it round their torso and then putting a coat on over it - again, I can't possibly think why one might be doing that, either.... ;D  ). You pay the whole lot out between the rabbits and burrows, staking in the posts as you go, then drive the bunnies back into the net. For this to be truly effective you need a dark, moonless night with a breeze (not a gale - they stay under the ground then) blowing your scent away from the feeding rabbits (ie towards the burrows).

Either way, once you have spooked the rabbits you can turn your torch on and go along the net killing the rabbits tangled in it.

When doing this, walking lightly and knowing where the wind is blowing your scent is vital. Its no use doing it on a shiny night - the rabbits will see you from miles off.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:25:52 am »
Thanks for all the advice - very helpful.

On shooting - we have had a chap who shoots rabbits all over the place come twice - think he has had around 20 rabbits off our two acres. I have got 6 with my air rifle.. but as we know they breed like rabbits.

The thing is I think why am I bothering on my little two acres when I am surrounded by flat farmland.... as there will undoubtedly be thousands more just waiting to hop on over.

Mel

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 10:34:16 am »
If only I lived closer to you! I would love to fill up a freezer of rabbits :yum: :yum:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 10:34:43 am »

The thing is I think why am I bothering on my little two acres when I am surrounded by flat farmland.... as there will undoubtedly be thousands more just waiting to hop on over.

Get used to rabbit pie then.... ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS