Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkeys for Xmas  (Read 1912 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Turkeys for Xmas
« on: December 22, 2013, 12:58:24 pm »
Thinking of doing some norfork black turkeys sorry if this is a silly question but do you raise the hens and the stags or just the stags???
If both what sort of weights can I expect at the 8months of age.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Re: Turkeys for Xmas
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 12:58:21 pm »
We get day old poults (Norfolk Bronzes) in June-ish so you get a mixture of hens and stags. Ours weighed in at 5-10kg this year, dressed weight. The hens being in the 5-6kg range and the stags 7kg+. I reckon it costs ~£20 per bird in feed plus about a fiver to buy initially. Local dressing cost is £13 per bird and we've sold out charging £10/kg this year so all in all it makes a tidy profit at a time of year when nothing else is making any money on the farm.

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 12:26:28 am »
For the last couple of years we've hatched eggs bought off ebay in an unsophisticated incubator.  In 2012 we left it until June and hatched in July, which did not produce a spectacular bird, albeit female.  In 2013 we had a male and a female hatch in April.  The male reached 20lbs (dressed weight) easily with no special attention by early December.  The female was roughly 12lbs once dressed.  They ran with our chickens and were lovely company over the summer.

We paid roughly £1 per egg and maybe £10 each in feed (usual stock of chick crumbs, layers pellets and turkey finishing pellets), and dispatched and dressed them ourselves.  Very easy to do on a small scale basis.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 12:32:11 am by Lamberkin Lynn »

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 04:46:16 pm »
I used to do 50 geese and 50 terkeys this yare in Asda avarage 20 pound for a nice bird.In the Co op 20 to 25 per bird the Co op is the best fayre you can get .I think its very cheap for a terkey pork is well dawn so a cheap yare for Christmas.Getting back to the post get you're own eggs .You could have 5 hens and 2 stags for 150 investment .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS