Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Last year jacob lambs  (Read 1986 times)

vkmcc

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Renfrewshire
Last year jacob lambs
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:16:39 pm »
Hi looking for some advice i have 9 jacob weathers from last year that i was going to send to market but i have been told that jacobs will not do well in the ring and to see if i can source a local buyer our local butcher isnt interested in them at all and i have tried a few others and got the same response that because they are not a commercial breed there is no interest in them. Im in renfrewshire and wondering if anyone knows of any butchers that will buy jacobs privatley.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Last year jacob lambs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 07:40:09 am »
Try to find a local person who might buy a couple to put in the freezer. The market place on here on here and preloved? People like to buy Jacobs as pets too so preloved would be a good bet if you want them out the way put the price you want and take £5 off and they will be gone pretty fast

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 06:33:27 pm »
Bloody hell! Eat them! They are life changing! You can get chest freezers in the paper for thirty quid, stick it outside your back door if you have no room for one, Iv had one outside in the Scottish highlands all winter just fine, I just wrapper the plug in duct tape. Chest freezers are very weather resistant.

vkmcc

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Renfrewshire
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:43:48 pm »
Thanks for replies i have tried finding local people and anyone i have has said yes at the start and now when it actually time for them to go they dont like the idea that they have seen them in the field. I would keeep them for myself but no one in my family really eats lamb so think it would take years to get through them. Will keep trying  ::) 

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:44:35 pm »
how much do they weigh and what do you think they are worth to you?

i.e. what would you sell them for to avoid hassle of slaughter etc.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 07:23:07 pm »
Jacobs are a lovely meat animal and as long as they aren't undersized there is no reason why they shouldn't do well in the ring. As they are last years lambs I expect they are going to easily be big enough. Put them into the prime meat sale rather than anything else as wethers are no use to a farmer except as store lambs which have some growing to do still. Yours should be way past that by now.
If you telephone the mart and ask to speak to someone they are usually happy to offer advice. Lets be honest, if anyone knows how well they will do in the ring it would be them.
Good luck whatever you decide - keep one or two for the freezer if you can as they are a fine flavoured breed.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:16:06 pm »
I sell my black welsh through the local weekly mag. I sell them butchered in boxes of halves or wholes. If you have nowhere to store them place the ad first then send them to your local abbotoir to get them procerssed once you have sold them. If you feel thats too much work just sell them live, someone will want them for their freezer for sure! Just a question of advertising/marketing! I'd be shocked if they don't sell quickly! Good luck :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS