Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's going on????  (Read 2270 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
What's going on????
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:34:30 pm »
I have today hand-clipped one of my last few ewes that had too young lambs to get done earlier when the whole flock got clipped. It took less than an hour, and unfortunately I did not manage to get the lambs into the pen, they disappeared off with the rest of the flock while I clipped. Ewe was fine, off she went eating straight away afterwards and joined the rest of them. This was at about 5pm.

Now there is still a racket going on in the field (just outside the bedroom window!), I just watched them for a while, and ewe is calling for her lambs, they are calling for mum, get close to her, they sniff each other and when the lambs try to suckle she buts the away!  They are definitely hers though!

Will they get themselves sorted? what do I do if not? These are about 5 weeks old, and definitely not ready for grass alone!

This is a first! (And it looks as if I am mot going to get a lot of sleep tonight either...)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: What's going on????
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:39:49 pm »
anke, we have that every year.  it's the funniest/strangest thing ever.  they just dont recognise each other at all.  and yes, it does settle down really quickly. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:30:29 am »
But if it doesn't settle down and the lambs are not feeding by tomorrow, bring them in somewhere together until they work out who their mum is - a pen or a small paddock with no other sheep (they are too young to go without milk).  It seems odd to me that it's the ewe not allowing the lambs to feed - usually it's the lambs who don't recognise their new sweet-smelling mum.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:47:27 am »
You didn't treat with some sort of pour-on after clipping?

But whatever, bring them in, as Fleecewife says.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:02:27 pm »
Well we had a wake-up session of baaaahing from both lambs and ewe at 3.45 am (the window was open), and it went on for a while.... then went to check them at 6am, and they were grazing next to mum... haven't heard anymore all day, so presume they did sort themselves out in the end... (I did not see them feeding, but they were looking quite content). I guess they are not the brightest pair of this year's batch... just was bit of a worry. Usually it only takes an hour or so to settle.

Not put any pour-ons on yet.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:04:22 pm »
Lol, I guess you get dim lambs like you do people  :D glad they've sorted themselves out  :)

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 09:56:32 pm »
After mine were clipped they all stood about looking confused as though they had never seen eachother before. No problem with the lambs finding mum though.
Hope it sorts itself out soon.

Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 06:23:03 pm »
we found that the lambs went for the mums udders and were soon told off if they got it wrong. The ram however, having been part of and watching his girls get their hair cut was cross with them all - except the lambs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:40:34 pm »
I did the last two by hand yesterday, and again found that one lot took a few hours to get re-acquainted with each other and the other ewe (who had her lambs in the pen with her) just wandered off with her girls as if nothing happened... maybe as she is the only Suffolk in the gang it was easy for her lambs to know our mummy is the one with the black head....

But when the whole flock is done it is quite funny how the lambs go round and try the udders until they find one that doesn't boot them out of the way...

But all finally clipped, vetrazined and lambs vaccinated today.... only to be repeated again in four weeks time...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS