Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Storage and Serving of loose milled pig food  (Read 8868 times)

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
Storage and Serving of loose milled pig food
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:40:11 pm »
We have the opportunity of switching from purchasing 25kg sacks of pig nuts to (for the lack of a better expression) loose milled pig food by the tonne.  The loose milled pig food will offer a substantial savings and if our butcher (who recommended and put us in contact with the supplier) is correct, the end result is superior pork.

The question is, does anyone else purchase ‘loose pig food’ in volume and if so, how do you store and subsequently serve it?

Many thanks

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

robert waddell

Re: Storage and Serving of loose milled pig food
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:57:57 pm »
the biggest problem for loose feeding is what are you going to move it with leaving it in the builders bag Will encourage vermin  the best system of storage is hoppers or bulk free standing feed bins then it can be blown in
not sure on the pork being superior as  the feed will be the same as the commercial guys use  and i got it in the neck for sticking up for commercial produced pork  but that is your market and that is what your butcher wants
serving it is just the same as pellets or you could try wet feeding by mixing with water  don't buy to much at once and it can go solid in the hopper :farmer:

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:45:23 pm »
We have the opportunity of switching from purchasing 25kg sacks of pig nuts to (for the lack of a better expression) loose milled pig food by the tonne.  The loose milled pig food will offer a substantial savings and if our butcher (who recommended and put us in contact with the supplier) is correct, the end result is superior pork.

The question is, does anyone else purchase ‘loose pig food’ in volume and if so, how do you store and subsequently serve it?

Many thanks

Pete 

quote      I store in silo's....... I store fresh grain and mill the grain,a dd the minerals and feed to pigs.  I then know what is in my feed at all times.  Yes it is much cheaper than the pellets.... Pigs grow quite fine on it.  You just need a nutritionist if you go down this road, if it is already make up then  even better

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:22:39 pm »
Thank you ... I was expecting 'hoppers' to be the answer .... do you have any suggestions where they can be sourced? If I'm buying one tonne at a time I guess the capacity needs to be 1.25 tonnes so as not to run out.  Blowing it in sounds the best way ... source of a blower?

Whilst the savings may be substantial the cost of setup can't be excessive. With my usage being in the region of 3 tonnes a year I need to get a reasonable balance.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:25 pm »
for 3 tons a year i would not bother we use in the region of 18 tons and yes there could be a saving on cost but a big expense on hoppers bins or silos   even secondhand then the dust and working in that dust
allright feeding it when the ground is dry  what happens when the ground is slabber and the meal is lost
how much of a saving is there per ton :farmer:

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:23:06 pm »
Thank you Robert,

I've just done a search on eBay and see their are a couple of 2 tonne (second hand) hoppers for sale - initial price around £75 - £90 with some work needed plus collection.

So, as you say, in all probability the saving is probably not sufficient to make it cost effective.

Worth investigating though ....

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:15:53 pm »
Hi Pete,
I have a grain mix made up for me and it is cheaper than pellets and I know what goes in it. I use about 20 tons a year and the merchant I buy off will deliver and blow it in but minimum order is 5 ton. I didnt want a hopper so I've built a feed store on the back of my stables and will get it blown in there. I use to get a ton at a time and I built a wooden storage bin in my feed room and kept it in there no problem.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:31:10 pm »
At three tons a year I'd stick with the bags too.  Do you get them in bulk though? My local agri store will order in half a ton to a ton of nuts for me (about once a month) and I  pay about a quid fifty less per bag than they charge if you buy them in twos or threes. They forklift the pallet on to the back of my pickup and off we go, just the unloading at home to worry about - simples.  :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 04:51:23 am »
I agree with the others' points and as well as pig feed usually only has a 'shelf life' of 3 months before losing it's mineral content.

I buy 2 tonnes at a time (once a month).   With this amount I  could have exactly the same feed delivered and blown in (2tonnes is their minimum to mix the sow and weaner nuts that I use).

The cost was a little cheaper for the food, but not enough to cover the cost of a silo and base.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Derby_menagerie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Derby
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 09:58:29 am »
I get mine loose from the local feed guy, I just take 5 old feed feed backs and we shovle it in, £20 in his top pocket! Store it in a cleaned out wheelie bin, feed it in a trough. Works out cheaper. I don't use loads, only have 4 to 6 weaners at a time. Don't know if every feed supplier would be happy with the arangement but I suspect he dosen't but the £20 through the books and its just a bit of pocket money!

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 10:42:15 am »
DM  if you get inspected by EH  where is your labels pertaining to the feed and batch numbers  you must have them for production :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 10:59:46 am »
i use between 8 and 10 tonnes a year and stick with bagged because its easier for me to control, i get a tonne pallet at a time (2 if they have an offer on) its delivered to the door and stacked in my feed house couldn't ask for a better service - Thompsons of York.
Have looked into going down loose feed route but fear about vermin and control put me off.
mandy

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 12:18:54 pm »
Thank you for all the input.

At the moment we are using Argo feeds (South Yorks, S36 6HQ) and they do free delivery on a mixed tonne or more.  They supply in 25kg paper sacks (which are great toys for the pigs) and we last paid £306 / tonne for sow and weaner nuts.  They normally come fresh off the production line with 4 months   shelf life. They come on a pallet and if requested (and available) will send a vehicle with a fork lift, otherwise they are man handled off.

I also get layers pellets from them and they can contributes to the mixed tonne for free delivery.

How does this compare to others prices? Any other recommendations?

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 01:08:39 pm »
DM  if you get inspected by EH  where is your labels pertaining to the feed and batch numbers  you must have them for production :farmer:

Is that true if the pork is for your own consumption, or only if you sell it on?

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 01:57:47 pm »
it is for both      it is traceability if there is contaminated feed :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS