Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I put pig slurry on my vege patch  (Read 3659 times)

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
I put pig slurry on my vege patch
« on: June 03, 2022, 01:47:41 pm »
I put some pig slurry on my vege patch, then I learned its probably not the best thing to do!  It wasn't composted but it was probably about 3 months old manure. I gather there is a risk from ring worm from uncomposted pig manure is this true? Also is uncomposted pig manure too acidic? It still smells strong. The vege patch has only seeds in it at the moment and three small tomato plants but I don't want to kill everything. Should I add something to up the PH like some lime? Thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: I put pig slurry on my vege patch
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 06:14:46 pm »
No idea of the technicalities but I wouldn't eat anything that pig slurry had been on  :innocent:

If it was me I'd ignore the seeds that are there, sow some non food seeds, dig up the tomato plants and rinse off the roots then replant n decent manure
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 07:06:41 pm »
Why wouldn't you eat anything that had pig slurry on? I think I'll leave it and hope for the best, I think I remember hearing  pig manure is actually quite good for tomato plants so I'll see if they start dying or grow on ok, they seem fine so far.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 08:51:40 pm »
Why wouldn't you eat anything that had pig slurry on?
Because I just don't fancy it.  :yuck:  Having had to drive past a pig slurry spillage when I lived in Aberdeenshire I just hate the smell  :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 10:01:00 pm »
Pig slurry is currently rated as a good substitute for fertiliser as it is high in nitrogen and much cheaper. The risks from pig slurry with fruit and veg is based on pigs being omnivores not herbivores. However chicken manure is fine  :thinking:  I would of thought free range chickens eat far more "meat" than any pig will have the opportunity to do.

I think you mean roundworms not ring?

Before efficient wormers people could get worms from under cooked pork hence why it was never cooked pink. Did you worm your pigs?

I don't think it will kill your plants, although you have to watch the copper content. You will probably have the best crop of tomatoes ever!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 10:38:05 pm »
When I was growing up we had a LOT of pigs. Cleanings from the farrowing houses, which were on straw, were added to the huge muckheap - added at one end and used from the other, so that by the time the resultant FYM was used on veggies or the fields it was at least two years old. We never spread liquid slurry - that went into a collecting tank but didn't go on the land (I can't remember where it did go) . Dad grew amazing veggies. The things to look out for are heavy metal contamination in pig manure and parasites transmissable to humans.  You will be fine growing tomatoes as the part you eat doesn't touch the ground, but I wouldn't grow roots, tatties etc in it this year.  It will be fine next year but in future compost it for at least a year before you use it.
Having said that, when we kept pigs here we used them to clear a veg patch then planted into it straight away.  That was about 15 years ago and we're both here to tell the tail, with neither heavy metal poisoning nor terminal worms  :eyelashes:

[member=26320]doganjo[/member]  pig muck smells horrible to humans because it is very similar to human  :poo: .  After my Dad gave up the pigs, it took several years to get rid of the smell, although we couldn't smell it  :sunshine:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 07:29:45 am »

Before efficient wormers people could get worms from under cooked pork hence why it was never cooked pink.

It's not just worms.  Pigs can emit salmonella choleraesuis in faeces, which can be fatal to humans (if not treated promptly), as well as to pigs, dogs and other species.  And it can live for 6 months on dry faecal matter.

It's rare in the UK but not unknown.

So I would make sure I washed anything grown in or on fresh pig manure, and be very careful about washing hands whenever you've been working in that soil, and not putting your hands to your face until you've done so.

Having said which, the likelihood of salmonella choleraesuis from a smallholder's / small scale outdoor pigs is very low.  Just the consequences can be very severe.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 09:38:28 am »
Group C Salmonellae contains, amongst others,[/size] Salmonella cholerae-suis, which is a rarely found strain but one which causes serious disease in pigs[/color][/size]. A single isolate was found on UK carcass swabs in 2015 but actual disease associated with the organism has not been recorded under APHA's VIDA system since 2009.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS