Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Difficult Ear Tags  (Read 2314 times)

Olivia

• Joined Mar 2012
Difficult Ear Tags
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:57:04 am »
 :I am having problems trying to fit ear tags on our calves. I have done this the last  three years without any trouble - but it seems the tags have changed - needing much more force than before. Can anyone advice me please, on the best tags and pliers to use,  so that I can again do this in a quick and efficient way - without any distress to the animals - or Me ! Grateful for suggestions !

robert waddell

Re: Difficult Ear Tags
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 12:27:24 pm »
are the two half's compatible are the tags meant for the pliers you are using  some pliers have longer handles for better leverage          the tags we use for the pigs have a littel dimple on them that has to be ground away for better release of the tag after insertion :farmer:

Olivia

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:40:49 pm »
Thank you for coming back to me.
Yes - everything is correct -  from a well known company . I have managed to do some successfully - but it takes an unneccesary amount of force. Surely that should not be necessary - and didn't use to be. It is probably fine for  a big strong chap - but I am now on the outlook for the smoothest tags and pliers on the market - so little me can still do the job easily ........  Any suggestion ?

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 01:55:49 pm »
smear some lubricant on the receiving part of the tag  vaseline ky jelly or the lube used for lambing try that first i know some of the pliers are short handled ones :farmer:

Olivia

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:17:10 am »
Thanks ! I'll try that - but will be on the lookout for something more userfriendly.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:26:21 pm »
Which ones do you have?
I've used these http://www.ketchums.co.uk/k-tag.php the applicator snaps and then "auto releases" itself which is far better than trying to get the bloomin' things open while calf is protesting!

Olivia

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:34:03 am »
I have been using tags and pliers from Ketchum - and the old tags worked fine - these new ones with a bigger "collar" is the problem. Ketchum have always been helpful and quick to deliver -so don't want to say anything critical against them ..................... The pliers do release - it is the initial forse of pushing the thing through the ear that I am not happy with.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS