Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Depitox  (Read 3614 times)

kipper

• Joined May 2013
Depitox
« on: August 02, 2015, 08:20:45 am »
I'm thinking of buying Depitox to spray the ragwort I'm struggling to keep away in the back field ,I dig it out and the following year there seems to be even more

Has anyone used this before and how long after its sprayed can the horses go back on the field ?

Thanks in advance ......and where's the sun this summer ? :sunshine:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Depitox
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:42:10 am »
http://technical.nufarm.co.uk/documents/herbicide/label/depitox_labelinfo.pdf

Two weeks is standard. I was told in store two days but I then queried that after reading the label and was told two weeks to make sure the ragwort was unpalatable as of course ragwort is palatable in a wilted state.

We have the same problem and I have felt the more I pulled up the more I got. This year though I think there is less but we decided to spray. Not with depitox, I think it was headlands 500. It is meant to kill ragwort down to the root then kill the top cover of docks and ground weeds. It seems to have done a better job on the docks etc than the ragwort. I'm thinking I will still pull.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 03:48:59 pm »
Harmony is quite correct - stock should not be back into the field until you are quite sure that the ragwort is unpalatable.

If you wish to go down the chemical route, the thing to remember with any grassland herbicide is that most manufacturers will say that you require an on-going treatment programme which effectively means you need to spray every year.

Also, the way the weather has been this year, product control has not been as successful as if it was a warm and sunny season.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 05:27:05 pm »
The trouble is it doesn't really kill it enough, it may be dying but it will still be there in two weeks.
 I have a field that is really bad, I had part of it sprayed with Thrust, in April, this killed the plants that were most susceptible, I waited the two weeks and then mowed, then waited a another couple of weeks so the dead tops were frazzled and unlikely to be eaten. Any that survived this were then hand pulled. The other part of the field has sheep on it which have controlled it but it will get sprayed I hope the end of September.
Its just a constant war and costs a fortune.
 Good site for information.
http://www.progreen.co.uk/weed-killers/selectively-control-weeds-in-grass/weedkillers-for-paddocks/cat_28.html

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS