Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb illness  (Read 567 times)

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
Lamb illness
« on: April 29, 2024, 07:35:46 am »
Hello all!
Just looking to see if anyone has had anything similar.
I have a 3 week old bottle lamb which saw the vet on Friday thinking she had bloat, since then has not been taking much milk, still wanders around in her pen but just generally looks sad. Her breathing has stayed laboured but she is not rattling.

I am waiting for a call back from the vet this morning.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Lamb illness
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 10:57:55 am »
silly question perhaps, but you are feeding formula milk aren't you ?

Some farmers just use cow's milk as they have lots of it     and formula milk costs

Does it have access to grass / hay and lamb creep pellets ? I would have thought it would be nibbling on solids by now, some of mine are eating solids at 10 days old

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 11:14:45 am »
silly question perhaps, but you are feeding formula milk aren't you ?

Some farmers just use cow's milk as they have lots of it     and formula milk costs

Does it have access to grass / hay and lamb creep pellets ? I would have thought it would be nibbling on solids by now, some of mine are eating solids at 10 days old

If you use cows milk be aware of johnes risk.

Straw is better for rumen development, rather than hay which will make them pot bellied.

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 10:21:25 pm »
Thank you for your replies, vet thinks it was bloat but now something respiratory possibly going on. She seems much brighter this afternoon although not wanting milk. She is having lamlac, at most she will have 200ml four times per day (when she was well) and she’s had creep since day 5 which she nibbles well and ad lib straw.

Keeping fingers crossed she continues to recover 🤞

Bishybarneybee

• Joined Apr 2022
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 07:49:15 am »
Glad to hear she's improving. Does she have a companion or is she being raised on her own?

I have found the "competition" for feed or bottle with a companion lamb or lambs will often help to stimulate their appetite.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS