Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ignoring other members  (Read 37757 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ignoring other members
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2014, 07:28:56 am »
Ah!  :idea:   Thanks for that, David.

However, my request for
what I want is for their postings to not affect my 'new' settings - so if the only update on a thread is from the ignored person, then that thread will not appear on my 'New Replies' and 'Unread' lists.

stands!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2014, 07:30:04 am »
ok that's dan's department :-D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2014, 09:32:23 pm »
I had forgotten about this feature so thanks, SITN for resurrecting it.  :D

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2014, 10:01:21 am »
From a wannabeeeee  small holder point of view, who prior to joining knew not a lot.  I pick and choose the topics that take my fancy.  Although I don't post hughly in the livestock section I read them and I find the debate between the members who have livestock fascinating and through that have learnt a lot, rightly or wrongly.  This will enable me to help with my decision to move forward with a potential small holding or not.  Also things like paperwork, grants... for example I didn't know you got council farms!

So I guess what I am saying is I pick and choose and ignore nobody. :)  But......... sometimes my reading / posting is time based.  I may only have a few minutes to have a quick look through or I may have ages (that's normally when I should be doing something else and can't be bothered :-J )

I would also feel very comfortable at asking a question to do with small holding and know that I would (Hopefully, if I wasn't been ignored  :roflanim: ) get lots of different answers that would them help me formulate my own way forward.

I think the website is brilliant and I am glad I found it  :)

And I love the emoticons things (I always call them smileys).   :) :bouquet: :thumbsup:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2014, 11:55:57 am »
However, my request for
what I want is for their postings to not affect my 'new' settings - so if the only update on a thread is from the ignored person, then that thread will not appear on my 'New Replies' and 'Unread' lists.

stands!

Sorry Sally, that's not going to be possible. We're constrained by the core forum software and data structures in areas like this.

In this case it would require some overly greedy (in server resource terms) queries to identify for just you all of the posts that are unread and by users who aren't on your ignore list, only where the only unread posts are by such folk, and in addition to the standard permissions checks such queries need to make. Multiply it by the number of users on here and the server would grind to a halt.

What we might be able to do is add a little indicator in the 'Last post' column to show if the last post was by someone you have ignored, but the danger there is that there were posts before the last post by members you aren't ignoring.

Sorry!  :(

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2014, 02:47:53 pm »
Can someone clarify for me. I blocked two people but posts from them are still coming up. Does it only block if they comment on my posts?

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2014, 03:22:48 pm »
I would post something but am too scared of someone blocking me  :roflanim:

Better be safe than sorry  :relief:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2014, 08:19:41 pm »
I'm pretty sure that it should be anything that they post - you should just have a line saying something like ""*£&$^$% has posted a comment" - (cant' remember exactly what it said as have stopped 'ignoring' the person I used to)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2014, 10:25:29 pm »
You will see that the person has posted, but the text of their post is replaced with, "You are ignoring this user."  You can click on that sentence to see the text of their post.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2014, 10:26:13 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, Dan - I knew that really, I was just having a Grrrr day and needed to get it off my chest! 

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2014, 06:54:42 pm »

Because I do worry sometimes that not all new members, who've joined to ask for help with something, will be able to distinguish the useful from the misleading.  And because we are a polite forum, whose members do not jump in and say, "That's rubbish, Sal!", or, "Yes, but yours always die, don't they?!", there may not be many or any clues to the uninitiated...

As someone who joined here about 18 months ago, and as a relative novice to livestock keeping I actually found the variety of advice quite reassuring and more reflective of the fact that in many cases there is no one simple answer. luckily, although fairly wet behind the ears when it came to sheep (slightly less wet now I hope) I still had the wit to disseminate various views and come to a conclusion. if I only needed one definitive answer I could rely on one text book. TAS is like a whole load of text books. and over time you do get to feel like you know how different people respond. S INT N always looks to avoid unnecessary medication which I love, Rosemary is just Rosemary  :bouquet: and Tim W "CULL"  :roflanim: and loads of other useful and almost always thoughtful advice that helps me more than any other resource I have. As forums go this is certainly the most respectful  and as long as I stay out of posts re Scottish independence and micro pigs its terribly civilised. not felt the need to ignore anyone (well not to press the button anyway) but nice to know its there just in case

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2014, 10:10:56 pm »
Well said devon lad.... That's what I was trying to say but you said it better  :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2014, 07:27:47 am »
I have no problem with reading comments from people with differing views...I see the forum as an extension of daily 'real' life where you meet people with opposing ideas and you either keep your lips shut and say nothing or you can enter into a debate (friendly debate usually!) about where you differ. However, the ignore function is fantastic for when you find yourself up against an abusive person who chooses to insult your way of life and is nasty with it (for not being a 'real farmer', "always talking rubbish" etc)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2014, 11:51:14 am »
It's a pity, but some people feel able to say things on a forum that they would phrase more politely when face to face with a person. I think the post blocking thing is a good idea so that people can simply not read the posts of offensive members, but it's a shame that you needed to have it in the first place. I've seen too many first class contributors leave other forums - professional people with skills to share - because they felt unprotected from venomous remarks by other more self-important members. I've seen too much free speech destroy more than one perfectly good forum once the helpful contributors give up trying to join in.
All forum members have a responsibility to keep discussions tolerant and courteous if they value their online community.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2014, 01:06:37 pm »
juliewall,
Good point, I share my professional knowledge and my experience on here I also ask a lot of questions, I therefore find it a super place to learn & share, when I have my ex professional head on sometimes my frustration can come out in a post, I do not believe I've ever been rude though I have directly asked abrupt questions in order to be thought provoking for not only the postee but also other members, once I got a rant on about someone that I felt was bragging about their benefits.

Recently I have had posts removed had indirect warnings from a moderator to the point that now I avoid quite a lot of threads, I post 10% of what I used too, and feel that I can no longer be myself on this forum so will probably just slip away slowly. I know of 4 others that feel similar to myself, such a shame.
So yep forum members  :thumbsup: Forum administrators  :thumbsup: 1 moderator :rant:

I wonder how long this post will stay up  :thinking:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS