Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I ready ?  (Read 26224 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Re: Am I ready ?
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2021, 07:31:24 am »
One more

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2021, 08:01:46 am »
Looking good  :thumbsup:  have the lambs been tagged? They should be- if not go back to the farmer for tags. The ewe lambs will need double tags (like what the ewes have) if you’re going to keep them.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2021, 08:15:56 am »
Yep rams have one tag n ewes lambs have one in each ear , hes going to hepavac them for us when he dose his sheep to ,
    He sed leave the coats on for a few days then take them off iv never seen um before

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2021, 08:28:55 am »
And feel free to shower

This is excellent advice, which I would do well to follow myself during lambing.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2021, 08:53:32 am »
Yep rams have one tag n ewes lambs have one in each ear , hes going to hepavac them for us when he dose his sheep to ,
    He sed leave the coats on for a few days then take them off iv never seen um before

Ideal  :excited:  when he heptavacs them make sure you get the batch number and expiry date and note it in your medicine book.

The coats are great if the weather is dicey, as they keep the rain off the lambs backs. You can either catch them and take them off or the lambs will grow quickly out of them. Most of the lamb macs will degrade in sunlight.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2021, 12:28:03 pm »
And feel free to shower

This is excellent advice, which I would do well to follow myself during lambing.

Lol.  But in fact, I change my clothes and shower as little as decently possible during lambing.  I find that the more I smell like the flock, and lambs and lambing, the more relaxed the ewes and lambs are at my being amongst them, so I can do more and better / closer checks without causing them any stress.

It's as well I live alone...  and the weather is usually good enough for me to eat outside,,, lol
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2021, 06:17:00 pm »
Todays sheep picture

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2021, 06:18:00 pm »
Please excuse my messy shed ha

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2021, 07:59:41 pm »
Out in the sun

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2021, 07:22:42 pm »
I collected a bucket feeder last night and all the lambs toke to it straight away no problems my worry now is they look a bit round they have drunk nr 700ml more then normal ( between the 4 of them )
   They have now left the bucket alone will it just because it was new to them having milk always available and from now on will just graze at it ? Am worried they get blote etc ???

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2021, 07:31:56 pm »
They will restrict themselves when on ad lib milk and when they realise there’s always milk available,[size=78%] but feeding cold milk will stop them gorging and also reduce the risk of bloat. I have 5 lambs on ad lib and they are drinking 10ish litres of cold milk per day, they are 2-3 weeks old. [/size]

Just be sure with ad lib buckets to wean abruptly at 6weeks.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2021, 08:12:21 pm »
Ok thank you was just worried that they blote, 
They are 2 weeks old tomorrow how much would you expect the 4 of them to drink on the lamblac it says 1 ltr a day each lamb
  Sorry for all the questions

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2021, 08:37:20 pm »
Ad lib (always available) they will probably drink 1.5-2 litres per lamb per day. 1 litre per day on bag is more for bottle feeding. You have to watch for bloat around 5-6 weeks and wean abruptly, stop the milk when their creep intakes are increasing as it’s creep + milk that causes them to bloat up.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2021, 06:40:15 am »
My oldest 4 lambs are about 4 weeks old now I am giving them 4 small handfuls of creep in a morning and its gone buy dinner , shoud I increas the creep or not ? Secondly after this cold snap I am going to put them out on the grass should I put the bucket of milk out with them?
  Thanks

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2021, 10:22:22 am »
Yes, the more creep they take the better, then by 6 weeks cut the milk out. Personally I’d wean them from milk before putting them out but yes if you need to put them out make sure they have milk too, or when you bring them in they will just overfill on milk.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS