Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selective v. non-selective grazing in sheep  (Read 3859 times)

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
Selective v. non-selective grazing in sheep
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:41:36 pm »
I have a dwindling number of dorper crosses and they are the only sheep I've ever had. They are said to be non-selective grazers and will eat weeds as well as grasses.

This certainly seems to be true and they've been very good-- they devoured all the dock and stray blackberry bushes I didn't really want while cleverly staying away from a hedge I did want. When I had 5 of them, I had no buttercups. Now, with only 2 elderly ewes, the buttercups are back. They don't eat nettles unless you cut the nettles first.

Is this unusual for sheep? Do "normal" sheep only eat grasses?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Selective v. non-selective grazing in sheep
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:45:24 pm »
Primitives, and probably many other breeds eat mixed sward, including nettles, not brambles, many trees and bark.  They love plants such as cow parsley, brassicas, mixed hedgerows, willow, nettles when they are old and the grass has stopped growing, thistles (breeds such as Shetland will eat spear thistles which looks terrifying but they make sure the spikes are facing in the right direction) .  So, dorpers are not unique, except perhaps that they left your hedge alone......
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 12:18:08 am »
It seems to me as your land is undergrazed. You said you used to have more sheep on the same land? If you increases your numbers I'm sure they would have to eat everything - like they used to do before. Now they are choosing only plants which they like and leaving the ones they don't like, I.e. the buttercups.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:07:03 am »
My land is definitely under grazed, LOL! I just had it topped but as it is very hilly the problem is that the tractor can't get everywhere the sheep did. It's a very nice pasture in many ways--the hills and trees mean there is always shade or shelter for the animals and there is a big field shelter as well. However, with only 2 sheep and a couple of ponies (not allowed on most of it in the spring/summer) it is a jungle.

It's either go out with an old fashioned scythe or get more sheep.

The dorper sites always make a big deal of this non-selective grazing trait but it sounds as though I could get much the same with other sheep from what you say, Fleecewife. I've been thinking about Ryelands (for temperament and generally ease of handling) but will look into primitives.

I don't really want to have sheep that like to jump fences so hadn't thought of the primitives....the little ouessants wouldn't jump but I'd need too many of them!

Thank you for your replies.

Marti

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 09:23:53 am »
In the more than 20 years we have kept primitive sheep, we had one Soay tup which jumped out of its paddock to get to some ewes, plus a Jacob ewe which jumped out to check out some new sheep, then jumped back in again.  Otherwise none of our sheep has jumped fences.  As long as they have food in their field, and secure fencing, then they will stay there.
I don't know if Ryelands also eat mixed vegetation - any opinions on that from those who keep them?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 09:39:59 am »
I've seen our Soay munching on thistles and nettles. They love browsing even if there is plentiful grass.

However, ours can't keep our grass down during Summer. 7 of them on 2 acres and in a similar position as too much of a slope for topping.

Kept them for about 7 years now and no escapees apart from a couple of lambs that squeezed through stock fencing.
They've never jumped out though undoubtedly they would be capable of it ::)

Our fences are good though and we have thick, established hedges.

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 10:01:07 am »
This is all really encouraging, thank you for your replies! I don't mind getting the field topped...it's just that it is hilly and so not all of it can be topped.

I've found two really good sheep breeders to visit near me. One has Shetlands, which are really beautiful and don't seem to be escaping from her fields, though I know they can escape. I'd need to protect my Oak tree and Perry tree but they are welcome to eat the brambles if they like.

The other breeder has the Ryelands that sound very cute and easy. I get the sense they are very unathletic. I am a little worried they will be overly fat on my fields, but perhaps not. One can try...

There are a lot of nice sheep out there; no wonder people spend ages deciding.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 10:06:19 am »
Shetlands will generally stay put, and even though they can jump, mostly squeeze through wire-type stockfencing. Even then I usually found only one of two did (with old sagging fencing, but as it was next to a river prone to flood mesh fencing was not an option), they normally stayed near the main flock and would squeeze back in. Tups are a different matter and will jump if the urge is there (and girls are next door...).

The only thing to watch out for is getting sheep that are trained to the bucket...

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 10:58:16 am »
Thank you, Anke!

Right now, I have available to buy some wethers at 12 weeks and there may be some shearling wethers (if that is the term). I'd only get the shearlings if they were trained to the bucket.

As for the lambs...surely they'd be young enough to train myself?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 05:59:27 pm »
Thank you, Anke!

Right now, I have available to buy some wethers at 12 weeks and there may be some shearling wethers (if that is the term). I'd only get the shearlings if they were trained to the bucket.

As for the lambs...surely they'd be young enough to train myself?

Probably ok with lambs - does the breeder use a dog herself?

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 08:10:11 pm »
No, the breeder seems on good terms with her small flock and I suspect she uses a bucket as her dogs are Bernese, so not exactly collies!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 09:44:46 am »
None of the Down breeds are athletes.  Mine will polish off anything if the grazing gets short but always go for the sweet grasses by choice.  The Badger Face will walk into a field of lush ancient meadow grasses and immediately climb the fences to eat the hedge, however.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 05:14:16 pm »
Castlemilk Moorits would be a good option...very non-selective feeders- mine love to browse. In addition my rams will have a go at and eat live creeping thistle, particularly flowering heads (although not really fast enough as I would like!).
I have not found them to be jumpers- very easy to hold in their field. They are very beautiful and their meat is awesome- one of the best in taste tests.

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 05:22:57 pm »
I agree they are gorgeous. They have a great reputation as nice sheep, too. I can't really have anything with horns in my field, I don't think. I did a close inspection of my fencing and the wire in some places is just too wide gauged. Eventually I will replace it but for a little while.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 06:42:03 pm »
I have to say my CMMs left the dock alone last year but it was quite mature and they had a large area to graze around it. Grazing tighter this year so hopefully they will show some more interest in it. And if they can do thistles too then  :excited: lol.

What kind of fencing do you have Marti? My stockfencing is quite wide in some spots (somewhat bent) but they haven't had an issue so far, well except lambs jumping through when they are small but they have each only done that once and learnt their lesson!

I would say get sheep you like the look of. Makes it easier to go out in the rain and check on them!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS