Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: urgent panic help!!!  (Read 10330 times)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: urgent panic help!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 06:54:27 pm »
The bag was broken and all we had were teeth and tounge exposed to the air not a full head. We were worried about legs being back but also all the advice, seen read and heard to leave well alone, but also in a dry mud bowl -great choice of place to lamb! She let me get up and look under her tail without any problems which was also extremely unusual as they are hard to catch as the best of times to do anything with them. so her compliant and subseviant manner made me insecure. And what concerned me was as first timers all and her not dilaiting any wider after an hour. I resorted to the site for 'urgent, panic help'. BUT What was really great was the kindness of most of those either just a few pages ahead or with years of experience to reply or hold our hand. For this site and their generosity I am most appreciative. Maybe without it we would be in the same place but maybe not. In any case I sincerely thank everyone who helped us with this and no-doubt even more follow-up questions and thoughts.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 03:18:47 pm »
Well done you!  I don't think it's any different to me being on the phone to my wife (who hasn't done a lambing course) and assisting her, as we had to do so on our fourth lambing.  Admittedly, she had witnessed me do a full asssist on our second lamb, but she didn't really gain a massive amount from that expereince as she was 'the muscle' making sure the sheep didn't do one with me and half my arm still inside her!

This place is excellent for advice and support - for those of you who have offered their years of expertise, thank you.  Shame on those who come back with the negative 'know it all' attitude.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 03:25:05 pm »
I agree Captain. You can see from my other thread -won't suckle he has been a bit of a steep learning curve. Glad to say though that following tube feed he remembered what to do again and now also in his dashing plastic mac (with jumper inside) in the fresh air today (going back inside tonight though

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 07:11:11 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dear Friends - dont judge those who you think were maybe a bit harsh in their replies!  :o
Sometimes what is written in a completely harmless way can come across as being negative when read by someone else!
If you go back and reread the question and then the reply it actually does make sense ( ;)).... a nose/head by itself is never, ever, a good presentation. It is not just a small detail which can be easily recitified, or left to sort itself out. As you know from your reading of sheepy books this always requires assistance....on refelction you probalby knew the answer.  ???

However as a novice (thats me too) I know it is good to have the 'live' reassurance from friends on this site that you are not missreading signs from your sheep, or the info from the books!!  .....that practical experience available here is far superior to any info from books and websites!

Keep asking the questions...and keep answering, too, folks!!!
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 08:50:12 pm »
Well said Pikalilly !!!!!
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 10:54:09 pm »
mmmmm ! i re-read my own post ---- cor I do sound a bit pompous !! i am not really !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 09:00:39 am »
Lots of research looking into how email - although very useful - degrades communication, as without cues such as body language/speech tone etc, things can comes across very differently from intended.

I try and remember that when I get emails that seem harsh on first reading.

Personally I think emoticons are very useful for trying to get across some element of the spirit in which a post is written.

Now - am I sounding pompous???  ;D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 09:48:17 am »
So pleased all turned out well with your ewe and lamb.

The internet is brilliant ......but, I think things do not always come across in the way they were meant.  The spoken  word is so much easier to decipher, you can tell from the voice if the person is being helpful/critical/pompous whatever - the written word is completely different, and I am sure no one meant to upset you.

You did the sensible thing and asked for help - had you not, well you may have had a dead lamb.  No question is too daft or simple, and the good thing about this forum is people are happy to help, or offer reassurance that what is happening is normal.

I have had goats for many years, and you can read as many books as you want, but there is always something happening that is not quite right, or not in the book - so, especially for beginners to smallholding, its good to have forums like this for them to ask that niggling question, especially when its an emergency!!

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 11:46:38 am »
Got me at it now  :o! I meant I agree that this is a great forum to help and advice from  ;D I would upload a picture of the little chap (complete with mac and pullover) but cannot seem to be able to. Could not get an avetar up either :'( He has just settled into a bed of daffodils

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 12:48:15 pm »
Shearling, your photos and avatar need to be downsized - your software should do it  - if you have MS office Picture manager it's easy - just open the photo and click on edit photos then compress for documents - that gives a good size to see and is Ok for on here, save it with a different name if you want to keep the original size.  the avatar has to be saved tiny - to email size.

When you open a reply on here down underneath the text box you see additional options, click on that and then click on choose to find your photos. Then click more attachments to add more photos, then click post
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

princesspiggy

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 08:17:23 pm »
its easy to give advice to others but when its your animal, and ur adrenaline is up and ur worried, its easy to panic and want to seek reassurance.
this forum is great cos the replies are so quick and handy  :wave: :wave:

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 09:41:32 am »
Here he is, hiding in the daffodils. Many thanks to everyone who helped come into the world safely.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 09:45:44 am »
And with a watchful mum. He snuck in there by himself, but today is being more frisky and hopping and jumping about.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 09:50:32 am »
What an adorable photo. It reminds me of the ones on lovely calenders

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 09:59:09 am »
What an adorable photo. It reminds me of the ones on lovely calenders

Yes, it does, and we do have a photo competition on at teh moment - don't we?  Are you all remembering?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS