Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: meteor (peas)  (Read 2743 times)

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
meteor (peas)
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:28:55 am »
Hi
Going to plant some Metoer (peas) but am sure I read some where to plant under cover but cant find it now so do I plant these under a couple of cloches or what. you guys/girls will soon realise am new to all this
off to buy the said cloches as if i dont need them now am sure I will need them in the future
rob :farmer:
I am going to live the dream

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
Re: meteor (peas)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 05:34:46 pm »
put peas in and some garlic dug anthoner bit over for beans still cant decied where to put chuck run :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:37:15 pm »
Depending on where you are peas should be ok without cloches until the harsh frosts and snow.  Watch out for mice eating them, or carting them off to their nests.  A trick to make peas unpalateable to mice (from my FiL years ago) is to dunk them in paraffin before you sow.
Have you thought of having a portable chicken run (like an ark with no bottom) which will fit over your veg beds?  This would be in addition to the main run.  Pop some hens in first thing in the morning, with the ark placed over part of a bed when you have lifted the crop, let the hens scratch out every bug and weed and weed seed, and leave plenty of manure behind, then move it on to the next patch
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 04:47:28 pm »
Some of my peas have shooted result. Will plant some beans on Sunday
rob

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS