Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Geese  (Read 9802 times)

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
Shetland Geese
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:04:43 pm »

This morning I found my Shetland gander dead in his house. This was very unexpected as I hadn't noticed anything wrong with him, and I have been watching them quite carefully since the goose was poorly in the spring.  She seems to be recovered and is eating and behaving normally, although she is now distressed at the disappearance of her mate. It is odd as he was only half her age.  My problem is that if I give her a while to settle down and she seems o.k should I try and get her some company as I don't like the idea of her spending her remaining time alone.  She is about 18 years old and she and her mate were my last pair of Shetlands as I have had great difficulty sourcing them.  If I could find any I wouldn't want a gander as I think her problems earlier in the year were possibly due to being pulled about during mating and getting injured and then not being able to eat.  Would she and another goose pal up or would they fight?  I know geese are funny about newcomers and I wouldn't want to make the situation worse, but my thinking is if I got a younger goose now then I could get a gander when my old goose dies. Anyone got any thoughts and does anyone know of any Shetland geese for possible sale anywhere in my part of the world (Aberdeenshire or thereabouts)  Many thanks.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Shetland Geese
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:11:01 am »
I lost a gander suddenly like this too  :-*

I've brought in new geese and mine all see happy enough together. And of course, while it would be nice to have another Shetland, I don't suppose she'll really mind, I'm sure she's just prefer another-similar-sized-and-friendly goose company  :)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:45:57 am »
Or would she be happy with a couple of large breed ducks? I must say I have never heard of Shetland geese and I'm intrigued.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:15:55 am »
Shetland geese are lovely, not aggressive and very safe with children and nervous people.  They are also very pretty, and sex linked..  I'll try and post a pic for you.  Unfortunately, like most Shetland things they can be quite difficult to breed, and stupidly the last time I bred them we had so many I gave all but two pairs away. I used to know them as Pilgrim geese before coming to Scotland
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:19:57 am »
Or would she be happy with a couple of large breed ducks? I must say I have never heard of Shetland geese and I'm intrigued.

We've got a single Muscovy drake who lost his mate last year, he seems quite happy with the hens, although he can be a bit of a pain in the spring!  I did wonder if they would pal up, but they have diifferent houses at night and I don't think they'd want to change their routine now.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 09:23:36 am »
I lost a gander suddenly like this too  :-*

I've brought in new geese and mine all see happy enough together. And of course, while it would be nice to have another Shetland, I don't suppose she'll really mind, I'm sure she's just prefer another-similar-sized-and-friendly goose company  :)

I would worry about another breed as Shetlands are so passive and very small compared to the rest, also she is pretty old.  I think I'd rather try to find another Shetland if possible.  They are very rare though, even on Shetland, but I'll have to put out an SOS!  Thanks again for your interest and help.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 09:37:48 am »
In Shetland we mainly have Faroese Geese.They look like Shetland and tame easily but are not sex linked. I have a flock of about forty at the moment. I have one Shetland gander that wont mix with them and hangs with the ducks. Shetland geese are sometimes for sale up here but they have mixed with the Faroese that much I would not trust they are pedigree. Best stick to trying the rare breed folk where you know what you are getting.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 10:03:23 am »
Thanks for that hermit - here is a pic of our geese for those who haven't seen any.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 10:37:57 am »
I should point out that they are meant to be grey not purple, but the picture was sent to my computer via a blackberry and something must have got lost in translation.  Hermit, you wouldn't have a spare faroese goose would you?  Would it travel o.k. we could pick it up at Aberdeen.  I don't suppose you know Jordie Jacobson or Joe Gray?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:44:53 am »
So sorry to hear about your gander, mmu.

I do hope you find a suitable pal for the goose.

:bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 02:08:23 pm »
Sorry mmu but my geese are in established families and I wont seperate them, cause I am soft basically .But I would send you a few eggs if you want in June when mine lay.  My OH will probably know who you mean by Jordie and Joe, he knows everybody.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:11:08 pm »
So do Jordie and Joe!  They are good friends of my daughter's, mention GBC to them.   I might take you up on the eggs, mine lay late for geese, but not quite as late as June

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 03:13:27 pm »
So sorry to hear about your gander, mmu.

I do hope you find a suitable pal for the goose.

:bouquet:

So do I, It's such a shame to see her just sitting around as she made such a brilliant recovery before, I think she may just pine away.  That's life I suppose.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 07:05:35 pm »
They look lovely. Good luck in your search for a friend and if next spring you know of anyone with hatching eggs I would be very interested.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 07:59:02 pm »
Did I say June,  :-[ why did I say JUNE ???. Sorry it is usually April up here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS